9. A Sky full of Stars

Alec took his hands hesitantly, but Magnus squeezed them gently to reassure him. They walked towards the door and Magnus opened it with his magic.

When the door opened, Alec's face was hit by a cold breeze, he winced from the change of temperature but got used to it within seconds. That's when he noticed that he was standing on a side porch, which was at a high level from the ground. He looked around and realized that they were in some jungle.

"Earth to Alexander!" Magnus exclaimed while jerking him backward, breaking his chain of thoughts.

Alec was about to say something when he realized they were near the steps of the porch and if Magnus hadn't stopped him he would have fallen off the steps and hurt himself badly. He gulped and looked at Magnus.

"Umm.. Thanks.. I... I was-"

"Whatever you were thinking, there's no need to say it. Come on now."

Alec nodded. They stepped down and started walking when Alec realized they were going near the edge, and it wasn't just a jungle, it was a mountain. He suddenly froze in his place.

"Uh.. Magnus?"

Magnus turned around and looked at him. "What happened?"

"Weren't we supposed to be in that cabin!?" He asked with a frown.

"Alexander, I told you to be at my loft at a fixed time for a reason, right? Now come on." He took Alec's hand and started walking again, until after a few moments, Alec stopped again.

"Magnus, I... the dinner's at that cabin, right? Where are we going!?" He was totally confused. His crappy mood wasn't letting him live in the moment, and he was questioning everything around himself.

Magnus started losing his patience by now. "Alexander, if you keep doing it, I'll portal us back and cancel this date! So please, can we move now." He said, clearly irritated.

Alec noticed the change in his tone and gulped nervously. "Sorry, I just... why are we going towards the edge, and where are we? No one at the institute knows about my whereabouts, they think I'm on patrol, if I don't reach the Institute on time they'll start panicking and if they can't reach out to me, it will create-"

Before he could finish his sentence, a portal opened right in front of him. He looked at Magnus with shock-filled eyes.

"Leave!" Magnus said in a calm voice, yet it had a tone that could scare even a literal demon.

Alec looked at him and noticed that his features were completely different from when they reached here. He gulped hard, knowing he screwed up even before their date began. And now he doesn't know how to fix it. Yet he wanted to fix it, he got a second chance at love, and he didn't want to ruin it with his own stupid mistakes.

"Didn't you hear me?" Magnus said flatly.

Alec looked at him with tears-filled eyes. His whole day had crashed on him at this moment. His mood had been terrible the entire day, he thought his date with Magnus would finally make him happy, and refresh him, but it got ruined even before it began and he was the reason behind it. He felt helpless.

"M.. Magnus, please, I... I'm sorry if I said.. or.. did something." He tried to calm his shaky breath, then spoke again. "I.. I'm not good with dates and relationships, y.. you know about it, I.. just, please, don't end it." He pleaded, not knowing what else to say. A tear escaped from his eyes and fell on his cheeks. He felt really stupid and helpless, not knowing what made Magnus suddenly lose his calm.

Magnus looked at the Shadowhunter and examined him from head to toe. He had lived for centuries and in all these years, everyone who crossed his path knew not to mess with his patience. And he was on the brink of losing his patience entirely. Yet, when he looked at young nephilim, he knew there was something different about him. He looked at him again and this time he saw a reddish gray-colored aura around him which was becoming dull with each passing second. 'Emotional auras' he thought. He knew he could still send him away, but he needed his answers badly. He gulped, then closed the portal and looked at Alec.