| Chapter Five - Time didn't heal |

One Week Prior

"Lunatics," you mumble under your breath as you leave the grocery store, gripping your phone to call a new client to discuss work.

Crowds of people gather inside the grocery store, some pushing others around in a rush. Conspiracy theory articles are starting to be published about the governments putting some chemical in the air to make us see the sun brighter. Some articles are being published to speculate on what's happening with the bright lights in the sky.

You can't complain because they're goddamn beautiful shades of orange and yellow. The sky is an art piece, and you'd be damned if you didn't admire something worthy of praise.

Sure, something seems to be going on, but you're not a scientist or a government official. When somebody certified to speak on the matter is finally giving their theories, then you would listen. Some theorist with no degree was not going to make you believe that aliens are coming to abduct humans with these shiny sunrays.

"You have reached the voicemail box of-" You hang up with a sigh and text them to call back when they're ready to set time aside to listen to the sample mix you produced.

Are you doing okay?

Namjoon's name flashes on the top of your screen, and you quickly click the notification before staring at it with a confused look. You just spoke to him yesterday on the phone, so why was he asking this?

Of course, I am

Is something wrong?

You wait for the rest of the day for a response from him, and when your phone rings, you half expect it to be him. Instead, your client is on the other line. The two of you speak briefly about using Discord to write and mix the rest of the song together.

Namjoon never responds to your message.

-

"Is this what I think it is?" You grab Ali's hand quickly, admiring her ring finger and the stone that lays beautifully on it.

"No," she says with a laugh. "Actually, what do you think it is?"

"I thought it was an engagement ring," you say with a sigh, letting go of her hand.

She nods her head a few times before opening her mouth. "Then it is what you think it is."

You glance at her ring finger once again before whipping your head in her direction. Blink, blink, blink.

"I'm sorry, what the fuck did you just say?" You raise your eyebrows and give her a sideways look.

She grabs your hand and finally walks into the entrance to your house, closing the door behind her. Your feet take you to the living room, and you both drop onto the couch.

"I know it's really soon, but the news articles have been getting pretty scary lately. He said he needed me to know that his future is me, and I fucking wept, Y/N." She groans, admiring the rock on her hand. "I full-on ugly sobbed in front of him, and he just kissed me like I was the only thing in the world that mattered. I'm not ready to get married, but this is just a promise that if this all is just a passing thing, then we will be together forever."

You nod at her, holding back your thoughts of him. "It definitely feels a little early, but if this is what you want, then I am so happy for you."

"Thank you," she says, pulling into her embrace. "I'm glad you said that because I want you to be my maid of honor."

You pull away to look at her face, holding onto her arms with your hands as you do so. Your eyes blink a few more times on their own.

"Oh my god, yes!" You yell, jumping up from your position with a laugh.

She stands up with you and grabs your hand in hers. You both dance around the small space of your living room, giggling together and yelling out of pure happiness. A few tears slip from her eyes, and each time, you wipe them away and smile while pinching her cheeks.

"I'm gonna throw you the best, most bomb-ass bachelorette party like actually ever. Oh my god!" You scream again, holding her arms and jumping with giddiness.

"You're my best friend, Y/N. I love you so much," she says as she throws her body into your embrace, wetting your shoulder slightly.

"Love you too, Ali." You rub small circles into her back, holding back tears of your own.

-

If you need me, I'm here

Love you

Take care of yourself, please

I'm always just a text away. Always, Y/N

It's 3:21 am, and you're staring at this text message that has been on your mind for the past year. Of course, you haven't replied. What would you even say?

The champagne and laughs you had earlier with Ali has you in a good mood now, and you think about Taehyung again.

I wish you knew I loved you too.

I hope you're doing well|

I hope you're do|

I hope you|

I ho|

You blow a raspberry and click out of your text messages only to open it again.

There's so much I wish I said to you. There's so much about us that I wish we could have fixed. There's so much I wish I wouldn't have said to you. It feels so cruel to give me all this love to never be able to have you. I want to know what it's like to not think about you longer than a day. At least you don't have to see my face every time you leave your house or turn on the television. I can't get you out of my head, Tae...|

There's so much I wish I said to you. There's so much about us that I wish we could have fixed. There's so much I wish I wouldn't have said to you. It feels so cruel to give me all this love to never be able to have you. I want to know what it's like to not think about you longer than a day|

There's so much I wish I said to you. There's so much about us that I wish we could have fixed. There's so|

There's so|

|

I love you so much that it hurts|

Tears fall suddenly from your eyes as you try to find the courage to press send, to let him know that you felt the same all that time.

But it's too late for you both. You were too late.

There's no point in breaking your own heart twice.

|