xxi.

the next days were pretty awkward between jungkook and taehyung. jungkook tried speaking to his hyung, but he usually ignored him. he didn't know what to do. he wanted to ask jonwoo for advice, but that would imply telling him about how he rejected taehyung, and therefore explaining why he did it. he just wasn't ready for that conversation.

but when taehyung asked to meet with their manager separately than with him, he had enough. seated in the common room, he fished for his phone in his pocket and searched for jonwoo's conversation.

el moron needs to love me more
hey
are you busy?

jungkook jolted when he heard a phone vibrate near him. he spotted taehyung's cellphone on a table. he must've forgotten it there.

el moron needs to love me more
i really need your advice

he frowned when tae's phone vibrated again.

el moron needs to love me more
please?

when his hyung's phone vibrated once more, he reached out in annoyance, ready to turn it off, but stopped when he saw the notification popping up. "el moron needs to—" he started reading, but cut himself off, grim understanding lighting up his face. "oh fuck. oh, fuck, fuck, fuck, fucking hell."

he accidentally dropped taehyung's phone and it clattered on the glass table, but he was too shaken to care. he could feel his throat close up, his heartbeat thundering in his ears. he'd been talking to taehyung this whole time.

and he'd rejected taehyung for—

he shoved his face in his shaking hands, finding it harder to breathe by the second.

the doorknob to their manager's office clicked, and he jerked up. taehyung walked out, barely laid his eyes on him, spotted his phone and grabbed it.

jungkook kept his face expressionless, even though he felt like screaming his lungs out, even though his heart beat so loud he thought his hyung would probably hear it if he got any closer.

when taehyung finally walked away, and he could let himself breathe again, he took out a napkin from his pocket, picked a pen from the table and quickly scribbled with a trembling hand "got sick. please excuse me. - jk" before bolting.

his mind was surprisingly blank as he ran through the bighit studios, seeing everything with a sharp clarity, even though he still felt his heart ache with panic. the eye of the storm. the staff he passed on his way eyed him worriedly, but he paid them no heed as he climbed staircase after staircase, going the highest he could.

when he finally arrived to an exit, after what seemed like an eternity, he pushed the door open and rushed out in the crisp evening air. he took a few deep breaths, pressing a hand to his chest, feeling his heartbeat steadying, his furious thoughts calming down.

when he knew he could breathe properly, he braced himself on the wall and slid to the ground, staring into the void.

what had he done?