xix.

jungkook had been staring at the ceiling for an hour, trying to determine if the ache in his heart was because of jonwoo or because he was just being stupid, as usual.

when someone knocked softly on his door, he seriously debated opening it, but finally pushed himself off his bed and went to greet his visitor.

obviously, he was surprised when he saw taehyung wringing his hands while waiting in front of his room. "yeah, what's wrong, hyung?"

"i—" he looked down, and pursed his lips, like he was going to say something important, and a knot formed in jungkook's stomach. "jungkook, i've wanted to say this for a long time, uh..."

jungkook felt his own hands start to shake. please no, he thought. not this. not now.

"you know, it's uh— well, fuck it, i just need to say it. i like you, jungkookie."

even if at this point he'd been expecting it, the maknae felt like he was being punched into the stomach. taehyung blushed furiously, staring at the floor, probably waiting for an answer, but jungkook's mind was a raging storm.

in his brain flashed all the repressed feelings for him, and how, if taehyung had told him this a few weeks earlier, he'd jumped into his arms, but now... all he could think about was jonwoo.

"tae," he started, his voice a bit husky. he cleared his throat. taehyung didn't look up. "i'm— i'm sorry— i— i like someone else."

as soon as the words were out, he regretted them, but it was too late now. taehyung looked up at him with a sad smile. "it's okay," he said, his voice quavering a bit. "i understand."

and without another word, he left. jungkook stared at his back, every instinct of his screaming to call him back.

but, as taehyung walked away from him, he just couldn't bring himself to speak.

i love angst :)