Chapter 10

About a month later…...

As they took a stroll amongst the trees of the Moors woods, Maleficent gently brushed her fingers over the scarred trees, the golden magic flowing from her fingertips as the scars and scratches healed up, the painful atmosphere radiating from the trees now a peaceful one, with gratitude and peace.

A particular stump caught her eye, and Maleficent crouched down beside it, only to realise that it was badly severed. Burn marks were all over the surface as she ran her fingers over it, and she shuddered, feeling the pain of the stump as though it was inflicted upon her.

They had taken an iron axe to the tree. Chopped it down without giving a thought at all. And to Maleficent, it felt as though someone was taking an iron whip, slashing carelessly over her, over her chest, over her face, over her hips. Shaken, and dizzy from the heat that had suddenly risen up her neck, Maleficent stumbled to the nearest bush, and puked out all her breakfast.

"Maleficent! Are you okay?!" Diaval exclaimed, running over to her, and as Maleficent lifted her head to dismiss his concern, another wave of pain and nausea rose, and she vomited straight into the bush again. The sudden notion threw her off balance, and Maleficent saw stars for a moment as she struggled to regain her stability, but it was as though something had sapped all her strength from her.

Quickly, Diaval bent down, reaching to pull her up, and Maleficent leaned heavily on her staff, as though her wings were gone once more. "What happened?" Diaval asked, concern in his voice, and Maleficent shook her head dismissively. 

"It's nothing." Maleficent struggled to stand up straight, but the pain consuming her upper front was just too stinging, and she wheezed as she straightened up, a burning sensation shooting up her chest. 

"You must've fallen sick! I'll call Beastie to ask her to-" Diaval rushed, ready to dash off when Maleficent tightened her grip on Diaval's arm. "Don't." Maleficent warned, "She might be doing more important things." Wincing, Maleficent forced herself to straighten up, ignoring the pain, and she tried to steel her voice, "We Dark Fae never ever fall sick. It's impossible." 

"Then parasitic worms, maybe? Fleas, lice, or anything else from anywhere..." Diaval rambled, listing out possibilities, but Maleficent shook her head, dismissing all of his suggestions, "Not those either. Those are only for animals, Diaval." 

As they began strolling again, a very small possibility popped up in Maleficent's head, and she gasped. It was rather likely, come to think of it, and Maleficent began to fly towards the lake, Diaval running after her to catch up. Landing on the small bridge, Maleficent looked into the still water, her reflection looking back at her, and slowly, she turned 90° clockwise.

Turning her head to look at her reflection, she slowly smoothened her dress, pressing it tightly against her body as she slid it down, pass her stomach, making all the curves show. And there was a bump, though tiny, yet undeniably there. Coming from her stomach.

"What's wrong?" Diaval shifted back into a human, having turned into a raven just to catch up to her, and he followed her gaze to the water. Squinting, Diaval wondered what exactly she was staring at if the water was absolutely still and nothing was beneath the surface, when he realised that she was looking at her reflection.

Slowly, his eyes landed on her stomach, where her hand had paused right underneath, and his eyes widened as he too saw the bump. One that wasn't there for decades. One that wasn't there a month ago. And his jaw dropped. Turning at breakneck speed, Diaval looked at Maleficent to see her reaction, for she had remained extremely silent.

Her bottom lip was trembling, and she brushed her hand down her dress again, as though she had not seen clearly, and did not want to believe what she had seen. But it was undeniable. The bump was really there, and not a piece of her imagination. Her hand shook as it dropped to her side, and Diaval caught her just in time as her knees gave way.

Her eyes were filled with tears and her vision was blurry as she grabbed onto Diaval's arm, seeking comfort in his embrace. "Diaval...I'm not ready for this..." Maleficent buried her face in his chest, and Diaval knew that she was struggling with herself. Slowly, he patted her back, and he soothingly whispered in her ear, "It's okay. I'm here, and I won't ever leave you. You're not alone; you have me."

◇◇◇◇◇◇◇◇◇◇◇◇◇◇◇◇◇◇