"You're in my English class?" Isaac asked in confusion, quirking a quizzical brow at me. "Wait, I'm in an English class?"

I stifled a laugh at his stupidity, rolling my eyes as he grinned at me widely, proud of the reaction he'd managed to get out of me. His cheeks dimpled with mischief as he watched me, and I felt a blush creep up my neck under his gaze.

It was strange having him watch me like this – normally I watched him sketching in the café, blissfully unaware of my existence. 

As we sped down the hallway, our shoulders knocking into each other with each step, the second bell went off, making us late for our class. My heart skipped a beat. I'd never been late to class before. I'd never had a detention!

Isaac didn't notice my wide eyes as I began to pick up my pace, him following behind me.

"Hey, why are you running all of a sudden?" he exclaimed, lengthening his stride to walk alongside me.

"We're late!" I cried, rounding a corner and reaching our classroom.

I pushed the door open, stepping into a quiet classroom where Mr Greene sat at the front, marking attendance. His wrinkled face contorted into disgust, his lips curling in a spine-chilling grin.

He stood from his seat and walked slowly, so slowly, to meet us at the door. I was a deer caught in headlights, my hands trembling and my heart racing.

"Ah, Ms Haste, Mr Hensick," Mr Greene smiled sadistically. "Nice of you to join us."

As I was about to go into my full-blown apology, Mr Greene held up a finger to shush me.

"Detention. Both of you, today after school." Mr Greene scolded, wagging a chewed pen at our faces.

"But –"

"No buts, Ms Haste. You were late. Maybe next time you should," he paused to smile. "Make more haste."

He snorted a pig-like grunt at his own joke, turning to grab detention slips from the corner of his desk.

I let out a defeated sigh, the feeling of crying beginning to wash over me. I felt queasy. Not only was I in trouble, I was in trouble in front of the entire class. I could feel the eyes of all the students on me, hear some whispers and snickers echoing from the back.

A lump rose in my throat and I clasped my shaking hands together, digging my nails into the flesh of my palms. I chewed on my lip, trying to ignore the muttering of the students, the stares of Riley and William. It felt like too much all at once. My mouth quickly grew dry.

Beside me, Isaac threw a glance my way, his expression of nonchalance suddenly hardening as he stepped forward.

"I'm sorry Mr Greene, but it's completely my fault that Aspirin was late. I was sleeping, and Aspirin took her time to wake me up and alert me that class was starting." Isaac lied smoothly. He set his jaw. "Please, sir, it wasn't her fault, she was only doing the right thing."

My face warmed. Did he just call me Aspirin in front of the entire class? I shrunk even further into myself.

Mr Greene peeked over the set of small glasses perched on his nose. "Is this true Ms Haste?"

I looked over at Isaac who sent me a slight nod and a wink. I blushed and swallowed the lump in my throat. Was he really willing to take the fall for me? I opened my mouth, torn between rejecting his lie and accepting his help.

He quirked a brow at my silence, nodding to Mr Greene, his eyes wide as if telling me to go along with it.

Either way, I was desperate.