Chapter 4 - Gallant knight with the not-so-gallant attitude

Down syndrome day was held at a school, which was empty because it was a Saturday, in collaboration of the university Rotaract clubs in the country.

“Hey, Sayum, you’re late!” Priyashi exclaimed when Sayumyi finally entered the school. She was already dressed in the dark blue and orange Down syndrome day t-shirt and was helping out to unload the noodles sponsored by Prima.

“Yeah, I took a tortoise instead of a bus,” Sayumyi said glumly.

Anudhi grinned. “That’s the classroom allocated for our club. You can keep your bag there. Akka is also in with the t-shirts.”

“Okay, thanks,” Sayumyi followed her directions.

“There you’re Sayumyi,” Kasthuri placed the t-shirt wrapped in a polythin wrapper in Sayumyi’s hands.

“Sorry for making you wait.”

“Ayyo, that’s no issue. Changing room for girls is down the corridor, the very last door. Don’t be disappointed, it’s just a class room with windows covered in black paper. You want me to come with you?”

“Oh, no. I can manage,” Sayumyi assured quickly, not wanting to make her wait longer for her chores. But she felt it would have been better if Kasthuri accompanied her for the area of the classroom mentioned was deserted. Come on, you’ll have to worry about someone peeping if there were lots of people. It’s just changing the top girl. Stop being such a rabbit.

Sayumyi was about to put on the new t-shirt when she heard footsteps and male voices at the door of the class room. She nearly shrieked in panic.

They’re coming in! Her eyes widened in horror when she realized.

Her mind went auto pilot and she dived into the space between a cupboard and the wall at the furthest corner of the room. There was no time to pull on the t-shirt. Sayumyi covered herself with it instead as much as she could. Hopefully no one will notice her presence because of the lack of light. But with my luck I couldn’t be too positive.

The boys seemed to be there to get some desks. At least they haven’t come in knowing I was in.

But still her heart was beating erratically like an African tribal drum. Calm down, heart, calm down! Her mind’s holler was having the opposite effect of its intention. And her panic grew more because she knew what the unnatural raising of her heart rate meant.

No! No! No! I can’t turn rabbit! Not now! Not here!

“Hey, you’ve come to the wrong class room. We’re not allowed to take desks from this section,” a familiar voice said.

Tehan?

“What?”

“But a girl said we can take desks from this one.”

“She was mistaken,” Tehan said in a voice that left no room to question him. “Hurry out. I’ll show you the correct class rooms.”

Sayumyi listened to the fading footsteps.

Knowingly or not, Tehan just saved my life for the third time.

She put on the t-shirt as quickly as she could with her fingers that were trembling. Then she pressed her forehead against her knees. Even though she wanted to get out she couldn’t find the energy to do so. Her heart was still beating like a runaway horse and her breathing was uneven. Calm down, Sayumyi.