Chapter 29 - Sacrifice

Aryan had decided to order pizza for the surprise birth day party, so Himaya did not have too much work after her husband and the sons left home. She got to the work of making the birthday cake which she had reserved for herself, for she knew that her children preferred her cakes over any other. She picked pineapple gateau for this occasion.

The cake was in the oven and Himaya was mixing the icing when she got a text from Shafira saying she was suddenly vising Colombo and that she wanted to meet them.

Isn't this a bit too sudden?

Himaya typed in whatsapp.

It seems like you forgot, it is twins' birthday today. So we have this surprise family reunion happening. I am making the cake right now.

Just come out for bit, will you? I want to see you guys!

Shafira sent a whining face.

Jeez, you should at least tell a day before without suddenly crashing on us like an android.

Imangi joined the chat to grumble.

You two are so annoying. Aren't at least a little bit excited to see your best friend after a several months?

We are, Shafi. Shannon started to reply on a more pacifying tone. We'll come to see you. Where are we meeting?

I love you Shannon!

You're spoiling your friend, Shannon. Imangi chided. But in the next second she was asking. So where are we meeting?

Himaya read the chat and shook her head. There was a fond smile in her lips.

"They are still as sweet as ever!"

Maya, you also coming, right? Shafira wondered.

Sigh. Yes. How can I let you three have fun without me?

Shannon sent a laughing face.

I'll tell Aryan to send me the car and the driver. I might be a bit late though. I have to finish making the cake before coming. It is going to be a catastrophic if I leave it now.

Okay. But hurry. I have to go back before it is dark.

Wolf wants his red riding hood home before dark. Imangi teased, but there was no response from Shafira afterwards.

"That is strange! Usually hell breaks loose after one of us makes a Red Riding Hood joke with Shafira!"

Himaya frowned at herself before putting the phone away so that she can focus on the cake. The car was ready for her by the time she was done, so she quickly changed, grabbed her handbag and went out. However she knew she was not going to make it on time as soon as she checked the watch.

"Still, I am getting to see the three musketeers," Himaya consoled herself.

Her car stuck because of a traffic light when she got a call from an unknown number. Unknown numbers usually reminded her of how it was such a call to her phone that led to Shannon's first conversation with the lion of her heart, Nathan. So it was with a smile that she answered the call.

"Hey, Maya," Shafira spoke from the other side. "I am at the hotel premises you mentioned. Where are you guys?"

"Huh? It was you who wanted to meet us, so you tell me!" Himaya said rather irritatedly.