Chapter 28 - Many happy returns... or not?

Chapter 28 - Many happy returns… or not?

"I don't know how this is possible, but you look even cuter with short hair," Tehan commented as he watched Sayumyi comb her hair, placing all the stray strands behind her ear.

She grinned at him in the mirror. "Can I trust your judgment? They say lovers are blind."

Tehan came forward and placed his hands on her shoulders. "At least you don't seem too nervous."

"Well, I am... a bit!" Sayumyi took a deep breath.

"Don't worry. You'll do fine, little rabbit. Oh, Amma is calling us for breakfast. Let's hurry down."

Sayumyi nodded and followed him, with her satchel slung over her shoulder. It was the morning of the first day of her second year finals. They had family law first. Not that bad of a subject to start with, I guess. Subjects I am worried about, equity and land law are coming later.

Sayumyi got a huge welcome from her class mates on returning after a long time. Lots of people obviously wanted to know why I was absent. But exam that was about to take place in a few minutes time saved me from a lot of unnecessary questions. Tehan sticking with me was another colossal barrier for everyone to gossip as they pleased.

To her surprise, everyone seemed to think that short hair seemed to suit her better. Amount of compliments I got left me blushing.

"Hello, Sayumyi!" Sayumyi brightened up when she heard Gayal's voice. He looked healthy, but Sayumyi felt that the effect of past incidents have not completely worn off from the shadows in his usually carefree eyes.

"Are you alright, Gayal?" she asked in a low, but urgent tone.

"I am fine," Gayal said dismissively. "The question is, are you alright? I heard you had to undergo an operation also."

Sayumyi looked at Tehan with questioning eyes.

"Yes, I kept him updated," Tehan confirmed. "Felt that he ought to know what's going on since he is already involved."

"Him and Thejan helped to catch up what I missed here also," Gayal said in a grateful voice.

"Well, it's thanks to them I am writing the exam today as well," Sayumyi smiled.

"You have gotten yourself a worthy boy friend, Sayum," Gayal grinned.

"So I finally have your approval?"

"I don't see why you need his approval for anything," Tehan put his nose in the air, making the two friends giggle. Their smiles dried out when Priyashi suddenly turned the corridor and came face to face with them.

Sayumyi blinked as Priyashi turned around and ran off like she saw a monster. "What's up with her?"

"She is embarrassed to face us, I think," Gayal commented.

"Jeez, I didn't think this girl could this much of a coward," Sayumyi grumbled.

"Now when you're going after her to scold her or whatever, make sure you do it in the law faculty with lots of people around. I don't want a repetition of what happened the last time you chased her," Tehan said darkly.

Gayal rolled his eyes at this, but Sayumyi smiled and patted his arm. "I'll be careful, Tehan, I promise."

And she confronted Priyashi as soon as she stepped out of the exam hall, just like she promised. Grabbing hold of her collar, Sayumyi marched to the front of the faculty building. "We need to talk!"