Chapter Twelve

Blake ignored all of the camera's and questions as he stepped out of the door to his building. This was going to be his trial by fire, the hundred or so feet between the foot of his building and that of Daniel Hennessy's.

The moment he stepped out the door the vultures were on him and the interrogations began.

"Are you going to sue?"

"Who is responsible for the nudes?"

"Did you commission a peeping Tom for a publicity stunt?"

"What's your workout regime?"

"How big is it really?"

Were just the loudest questions he'd heard as he kept his focus forward and his head high.

Only fifty feet to go.

Forty...

Thirty...

The questions kept coming but he spoke to no one and made it almost the entire way to the tower and to sweet relief when he heard a voice that punctured that dream promptly.

"So who's the masochist? You or Charlatan?" He stopped with one hand on the door to the neighbouring tower and turned to see Penny Whitman.

Boobs out as was her thing, she wasn't holding any devices to record him nor was she accompanied by a filming crew.

"I mean it's pretty clear who got the first hit in, but I'm assuming there's a sexual undertone there," she continued, not even bothering to keep her voice low, "or maybe not... you seem mostly on the level, and I suppose your wife is kind of pretty, if you like that sort,"

He wished Melissa were here, then she could show this blonde bimbo exactly what kind of 'sort' she was,

She carried on oblivious to his mutinous thoughts, "I reckon she could get a gay guy off easily enough - hell as it turns out; I did,"

He knew she was referring to Josh but he wouldn't bite. He continued to ignore her though he felt his jaw twitch.

"But then maybe that's it," she was watching him speculatively, "you are on the level, aren't you?"

Moron.

"That's boring, but you are smokin' hot though...." where was she going with this? "Did he proposition you and you just didn't like it?"

Of course. Always setting the pins up just to bowl them over.

He managed to look at her briefly enough to notice that she was as dressed up as he was. The dress she wore accentuated all of her assets very well and was clearly expensive and meant for a special occasion.

The second thing he'd noticed was that while she hadn't been keeping her voice low, the other reporters had backed off as soon as she'd approached.

Who was this woman, really?

Fortunately no one had heard any of the rubbish she was saying.

He glanced back to see the other reporters had stopped on the side of the road, not setting a foot on the footpath our front of Daniel Hennessy's building.

"They're not allowed," she explained, answering his unspoken question, and smirked over her shoulder at her fellow reporters, "the only building in the city where you'll never see reporters swamping the door, no matter how juicy the story,"

He was going to ask her why but realised he didn't care to hear her speak anymore than he was forced to.

"What are you doing here?" He asked with scarcely concealed contempt,