[6]

Chapters 10, 11 & 12 have been uploaded on Patreon and sent to all the supporters on their inboxes. Chapters 7 & 8 are uploaded on Inkitt and can be read for free! All the details are in my description section. You can also message me alternatively. 

I stared at the mirror; a calculating strategist stared back at me. Her eyes shimmered with the gold eyeshadow, and her lips were painted a deep cherry red. Her wedding gown was grand with lace appliques and embroidery done with golden threads.

"This is the finest craftsmanship I have ever come across, Mimi," I whisper to her.

I turn around and give her a smile. She is skittish but allows herself to smile. The interviewer from a highly influential fashion magazine, upon my insistence, did an exclusive interview with Mimi as well. The gown was bespoke, one of its kind and was sure to create ripples in the fashion world. The address to Mimi's shop had been taken. I had been photographed from all angles, and my thoughts on the marriage asked.

"I am booked the next week, you have given my shop the necessary PR," Mimi giggled.

"And you deserved it. Your designs are so unique, you should be showcasing your work at fashion weeks,"

"Hopefully I will be given that opportunity,"

"You will! It will take a little time, but you must be patient. At least you will now be financially stable!"

"I will be, I am planning on moving to a better locality as soon as I get some money. I will be hiring some artisans and craftsmen as well for working upon the dresses. You have no idea how grateful I am, this was a dream!"

"Dreams always come true," I whisper.

My own words strike me. I turn to look at the mirror.

My dream of becoming a capo. My ambition. My priority.

Suddenly I realised that I had not been thinking about them as much as I should be. I was giving myself the freedom to enjoy emotions that would only come to haunt me later on. How could I be a fool? Raffaello was my enemy, how could I be attracted to him?

Joe entered the room, he pinched little Joey's cheeks who cooed at her father. Mimi ignored him and started to pack her bags. There was longing in Joe's eyes, I hated to see my brother in this condition. But I understood Mimi as well, she was innocent, and there was a lot to lose in our line of work. Especially in our line of work.

"You look beautiful, Valentina," Joseph said and placed a tender kiss on my cheek.

"Thank you," I whispered.

"Silvano is coming, I just wanted to check if you are ready,"

"Is Raffaello here?" I asked.

"He is, and by the looks of it, the man is eager. He has been glaring at Silvano ever since he arrived, Raffaello wants this to be done!"

I raised my eyebrow and let a smile appear on my lips. Somehow it felt nice that I would be with someone eager to make something out of this relationship. Most mafia marriages were treated like duties, responsibilities and were never enjoyed. I had a feeling that it would be different with Raffaello.

Too bad, I was his worst enemy, and he didn't even know it yet.

Joe cleared his throat as Silvano entered the green room. He was in a grey suit, looking every bit a mafia don. But that was all to him, looks. On the inside, he was an empty vessel ringing every time it was touched. I hugged him tightly and placed a small kiss on his cheek.