[3]

My eyes took in the beautiful and magnanimous crystal chandelier hanging by the ceiling; its light glimmered all over the beautiful marble floor. The Wolff residence was every bit lavish. I had been in awe of the Manor the moment we had entered. Its sprawling lawns, well maintained and lush, it set the precedent for the neo-classical mansion. I had been so awestruck that my father had to shake me literally to get out of the car. It was one of the rare moments when I had let my real feelings slip on my face.

Get a grip Valentina!

The inside was better, there was a beautiful staircase lined with a luxurious Persian carpet leading us to the ballroom. The walls were painted a pristine white with golden motifs on the edges, the craftsmanship was impeccable and worthy of high praise and awe. My eyes took in the beautiful paintings decorating the wall, most of them belonged to the renaissance era, were they real or a very convincing replica? I would never know. Arts and aesthetics interested me very much but I never got the time to indulge in the subject like I had always wanted to.

We entered the ballroom and I saw everyone interacting and mingling with each other. There were politicians, mob leaders and businessmen. Everyone was dressed up beautifully, it was a Wolff gala after all, a party everyone craved to be invited to. I wore a beautiful ball gown by Christian Dior; it was sheer black lace and strapless. It hugged all my curves and had a small train; my hair too had been pulled into a nice chignon with a few strands of hair purposely left loose. Judging by the appreciative glances on me I knew I looked good. My mother looked good too; she was wearing a simple champagne coloured gown with her hair open. We were like twins, looking exactly like each other but that's where the similarities ended.

"Raffaello is not here yet," my mother commented.

"I was informed that he would be reaching any moment," Silvano said curtly. He wore a black tuxedo.

I turned and found Joe walking in our direction, my mother sneered and my father gave him a good natured smile. He kissed my cheek and nodded in my parents' direction. He too had cleaned up really well. His tanned skin glowed and his dark hair had been swept back neatly. His black tuxedo looked sharp on him. I let a teasing grin slip on my lips.

"You clean up well," I said slyly.

"You don't look so bad yourself, cousin," he commented. He was trying so hard to not blush, it was amusing.

I was about to say something smart when I saw a blonde god coming my way. He was tall and broad with his blonde hair cropped close to his scalp. His thick lips were set in a straight line and his piercing hawk like eyes were trained on me. I could feel his hunger for me and I let my sweet and innocent smile take over my lips. It was Victor Wolff or as many called him Don Wolff.

"Don Wolff," I respectfully greeted him. He assessed me with his eyes, lingering on my lips for a few moments.

"Valentina" he said.

When I was a small child, I had always dreamt of having him as my husband until Raffaello came into the picture. Then I willed myself to stop thinking about him. But seeing Victor today was like revisiting those innocent feelings of infatuation for him. I mentally warned myself to not go down the road. I knew that if I got married to Victor then he would make Joe the Capo which meant that the Ricci clan would be looked after by a Ricci. He was honourable, not power hungry like the Morretti.

Letting go off the proposal sent by Victor's father was Silvano's biggest mistake, it would've stopped me from becoming this bloodthirsty and scheming woman. I too would've been able to enjoy the frivolous pleasures of life like shopping and getting my nails done. Like my mother.