Chapter 40

Summer came with such a strong heat, there Lin followed me while I was fanning myself with my hands. I headed out to see roses and flowers, and along the way I saw the other concubines and consort Qingyuan, talking.

I then overhear them, "What are you giving him?" Someone said.
"Do you think he would like it?" Another said as I stopped at their gateway.
"Lin, what's all the commotion?" I asked.
"My lady, have you forgotten?" Lin seemed to be surprised.
"Forgot what?" I said and crinkled my forehead.
"It's the 4th Prince's birthday tomorrow," she said.
Oh, it's that jerk birthday tomorrow that explains a lot then.
"Oh," I said, nodding my head. "Okay, let's go," I said and continued on our way to the garden, somewhat not caring what she just said.

Once I reached the garden, the roses and jasmines were withered and looked half-dead as they were extremely dehydrated.
"Oh my! What happened!" I said shock and rushed over to touch them as they lean against my palm.
They were all shriveled up.
I acted quickly, "LIN, help me give them water."
We both quickly went to the well that was close by and carried buckets of water back and forth to the garden. I lift the wooden bucket and splash water all over the flowers. We continued to water every plant until they all had enough water. After we finished, we were laying on the ground, exhausted, with two empty wooden buckets rolling beside us. As the sun had already set.
Man, times does go by fast.
Lin then pulled out a handkerchief and started to wipe my sweat away. "Thank you, Lin, but I can do it myself," I said politely before grabbing the handkerchief and wiping my sweat. "Come, Lin, let's go get some water. You must be thirsty," I said and helped her up. As we were about to head back, I turned my head back looking at the flowers.
I'll come back tomorrow to water you guys.
Once we arrived back, we both drank water and were so exhausted that I completely knocked out. When I woke up, it was already morning. I yawned and stretched my arms out, and I got out of bed. I continued to stretch my arms up in the air as Lin entered the room with a tray of food. "Good morning, my lady." She said and smiled.
I smile back, " Good morning, Lin." I sat down and asked, "How did you sleep last night? I slept like a log."
"I slept well," she replied, and I nodded my head and continued to eat.
"Oh, I'll be going to water the flowers again after eating, but I don't want to make you tired so you don't have to come," I said.
"No, it's fine, my lady. I will come with you and help," she said, smiling.
After getting dressed, we head off to the garden once again. On my way there, I passed consort's court and the 4th prince's court. Once I almost passed the 4th prince's court, I saw all the concubines and consort together inside the 4th prince's court.
Don't want to be in that crowd.
As I tried to pass them without being noticed, but then someone spotted me. "Concubine Liling, it was YOU!" shout the Consort Qingyuan from afar. I sigh, I spoke too soon. I enter the 4th prince's court and reach them, there I see a destroyed gift in Consort Qingyuan's hands.
"What's all this commotion about?" I asked.
"Concubine Liling, it must be you who destroyed my gift for the 4th prince to make yours stand out!" Consort Qingyuan framed me as the other concubines muttered in agreement.
Excuse me?
I looked at them blankly and tried to compose myself, "Sorry, Consort Qingyuan. It couldn't have been me. I didn't even make or buy a gift for the 4th prince," I calmly and respectfully respond.
"See then, it has to be you!" Said one of the concubines.

I covered my mouth to hide my smile as a tiny chuckle came out, "So you're saying that I destroy Consort Qingyuan's gift to make the REST of you guys stand out and not me?" I said, pointed at all the concubines as I stated the facts which made them shut up immediately.
Out of nowhere, someone said from behind me in a serious, cold voice, "You didn't give me any gift?" I turn around to see the 4th Prince with his personal guard, standing there for a while. Soon everyone realizes his arrival, they quickly bow slightly. "Greetings, your highness," they all greeted him, expect me.
"Your highness," I said in a flat tone as if I was not interested and nodded my head slightly.
"Answer me!" he said deadly.
"No, I didn't give you a gift or come to bring you a gift," I repeated myself and tried to clarify.
"Explain yourself." He said as if he seems to be somewhat mad.
"Well, I knew you would have tons of gifts from your other concubines and wife so there's no point for me to give you one," I said as he stared directly into my eyes, but then his lips slowly curled up.
Something is not right?
I look at him suspiciously.
"Because of that, you will have to be by my side at all times starting tomorrow." He firmly stated.
Wait, WHAT!
My mind went blank as everyone's eyes widened with their mouths wide open including me. I then quickly shut my mouth and thought quickly. "It is not right for a concubine like me to be by your side. It should be your wife," I said, trying to point out the main facts."Consort Qingyuan, would you take this task to be by the 4th prince's side?" I redirected the task to Consort Qingyuan and I looked at her.
I know you want to say, YES...!
"I will if the prince agrees to it," she acts politely, but you can tell she really wants it.
"No." He said straightforwardly and then left, leaving all of us bewildered.