Chapter 31

Morning has arrived while I was having a beautiful dream in my peaceful, quiet room but then, "Lady Liling, it's time to wake up." said someone.
I open one of my eyes to see Mei Mei and Lin standing by my bed and ready to get me dressed, I whine and turn over.

"Come on, my lady. It's time to start the new day," said Mei Mei.

"Fine," I answer back as I lay there for a few minutes and then sat up. I grip on the corner of my blanket and pull it off of me. I stick one of my legs out then the other off the bed and onto the ground. They soon prepare me for the new day. Like today, I wore a light blue hanfu on top of white inner clothes with a white ribbon tied in my hair.

After eating, I left my room and into my courtyard, and scan around, wondering what to do today. Soon, I see the 2nd Prince coming into my court.
"Greetings, Ying Yan," I said and slightly bow my head.

"Greeting to you as well." He said and smiled at me.

"What brings you here?" I ask.

"I just want to see how are you." He answered my question.

I smile and nod my head, "I'm pretty well." I reply.
"And you?" I ask.

"I have been somewhat busy." He said, "Oh, here. I almost forgot I wanted to give this to you."
He pulls out a box from his clothes and hands it to me.

"What is it?" I said, looking at the box with questions.

"It's a gift." He said not giving me any hints or clues of what it was.

Then in the corner of my eye, I see the 4th prince passing by.
"Umm, thank you but I don't think it's right from me to accept your gift when I'm the 4th prince's concubine," I said, slowly reject his gift and pushing the gift towards him.

"Please accept it. Think it as a gift for friendship." He said, continuing to persuade me.
I look towards the entrance of my court to no longer see the 4th prince. As I thought for a minute and I slowly move my hand toward the box and grab it for him.

"Thank you," I said and did a quick smile.

Then came a guard, "Your highness, the emperor is wanting to talk to you." The guard bows and spoken.

"Alright, tell the Emperor I'll be there," Ying Yan reply. "Well, I'm be leaving now. See you later." He said and left while leaving me alone with the gift.

I open it to see a beautiful and stunning hairpin; however, it was not my type of style, it was a flower pin with rich gemstones that burst in colors and follow by two dangled gems. It seems like a hairpin only for sight not to wear.

As I close the box. . .

"Lin, please set this by my other hairpins," I said.
Lin nod her head and took the box from my hand while Mei Mei went with her.

It was still pretty early and went on a morning stroll, but this time I took a different route than I usually go. This route seems too quiet to the point, it was uncomfortable. I soon recall this area.
Ain't this the 3rd Prince area?

There I imagine the creepy playboy smirk with his lustful eyes.
"Ewwww," I shuddered.

I quickly speed up my pace to get out off the 3rd Prince area, but then there I heard two voices talking to each other from afar yet close distance, one person had a low voice which I assume is a male while the other one had a high pitch voice and I think is a woman. I became curious to see who it was and slowly walk towards the voices to see the 3rd prince with two ladies in his courtyard. One lady was a mid-age woman who is in front of him while the other lady was behind her and seem young in her mid 20. As I was hiding behind a brick wall while peeking half of my face out to see what's happening.

"You disappoint me as my son. I shouldn't have born you. You just bring me shame." said the mid-age women who now I'm guessing is his mother.

There the 3rd prince stands in silence with his hand clenching against his robe while his mother verbally abuses him. My lips press against each other until a straight line.
Geez, what kind of mom is that! She is so rude.
As I scrunch my face up and shake my head in disapproval

She gave a last look at the prince and made her way out towards the other direction along with the other person. Once they were out of sight, the 3rd prince turns his head my direction as I quickly retract my head. I held my breath, hoping he didn't see me. My back flat against the brick wall and I stood there listening in silence. There I heard footsteps walking towards me, I inhale deeply while my eye's lids closed; the footsteps came closer. I knew I couldn't stay here any longer. I pick up my feet at a quick pace yet quietly and left without any sight I hope.