I made a face as he laughed.

"What are you talking about?? I'm always nice!"

"Right. Whatever you say Daniels. Whatever you say."

..

After the show, I said goodbye to the boys and Andrew. They went back to the hotel as I made my way backstage to meet up with John.

I was nervous I had to admit. Seeing John again after all these years was nerve racking. The way things ended between us wasn't pretty. The affair, the divorce. I blamed him for everything. We never spoke again. Everything we once shared was thrown away just like that.

I looked down at my feet and played with a loose thread on my top, when I felt a tap on my shoulder. I looked over to see him.

"Heya." He said awkwardly. I smiled and nodded.

"Hi."

We stood in front of one another, just looking at each other like we were before. That was until I spoke.

"So um, you put on a good show."

"Yeah um, thanks. I dunno it was just a few songs. Wasn't really my show to begin with."

"Well, either way. You were great." I smiled.

"Thanks. Look um, let's get out of here. It's hard for a bloke to even think." He laughed.

We made our way out the back after he set his guitar away. The cool air brushing against my bare stomach. My arms freezing. I wrapped my arms around myself as he lit himself a cigarette. He saw me and pulled his coat off.

"No John really..."

"No please just take it..."

"I'm perfectly fine John."

"Lucy." He said raising his eyebrows. I sighed and let him wrap it over my body. I looked up at him.

"Thank you."

He nodded for me to follow him. We walked down the alley way, onto the main road. Walking along the sidewalk with him on a normal street felt good again. Nobody bothered us. Nobody stopped for autographs. This is why I loved New York. Everyone was too occupied with their own lives, they didn't even care if the man walking past them was a famous rock star.

He led me to a small restaurant and opened the door for me. I thanked him and walked in. We were led to a small table. I still kept John's coat on, the smell of his cologne sticking to my body.

"So um, how 'ave you been?" He asked.

"Good. Busy with work, the boys keep me busy on my free time. Nothing to really complain about."

"Still always about work huh? I um, heard Michelle's moved down to San Francisco. Do ye ever..."

"No." I answered more quickly than I meant. "She um...began working at the same magazine. Luckily she's two floors down from me."

"Oh...I see. I'm sorry." He said looking down.

I shrugged and took a drink of my wine. "No need to be. How have you been?"

"I've been alright I suppose. Thinkin of slowing down a bit. Living a normal life, getting a new flat."

"Here in New York?" I asked. He nodded.

The waitress came over and asked for our order. I decided on some fancy pasta dish and a salad. John just got a salad. After waiting a few minutes in silence, our food came.

"Why don't you get something else?" I asked. He shrugged.

"It's part of my diet."

I just nodded and looked down at my food. Something about John was different. I mean not bad different. Just...off. He wasn't his usual self. He was more tamed and...controlled. It bothered me.

I knew John wasn't with Yoko anymore. Atleast not right now. He had a girlfriend. But from the rumours and gossip, I knew she was still around, a part of his life. I knew George didn't like her one bit. He told me about how she was a bit obsessive about John. But knowing John personally, I also knew how obsessive he can be himself.

I poked at my food and let it cool down a bit. He poked at his salad and just set it aside. "So um, is there anythin new goin on in your life?"

"Like?" I asked.

"I dunno. A lover?"

I shrugged. "No. I get by though."

"Julian tells me you and your boss are pretty close."

I shrugged. "He's the only friend I have. I mean real friend. I dunno I do spend lots of time with him and I'm not gonna lie, there's been sex involved now and then. But it's nothing serious. The only thing serious between us is our friendship."

He stayed quiet and watched me as I shoved a piece of ravioli in my mouth. It was stuffed with meat and cheese. I was having an orgasm over this damn dish.

"Oh my god that's so good." I said between bites. He laughed and watched as I nudged the plate towards him.

"Try it." I said. He shook his head.

"I better not."

"Come on John it's just food. Try it."

"Nah I'm fine." He said reluctantly. I made a face, stabbed a piece with a fork, holding it to his lips.

"Eat." I said. He shook his head.

"Lucy really.."

"John. Eat the damn ravioli."

He smiled as I fed it to him. I smiled and nodded.

"Good Lennon."

He laughed and finished chewing. "Shut up Daniels."

I giggled as we both grabbed a fork, eating and talking the rest of the evening.

..

John walked me back to the hotel after dinner. Spending a little time with him reminded me of why I loved being around him in the first place.

After awhile, He began to loosen up and be his own smartass self. I knew he missed being that John. The John I knew back in college. Beatle John. Now, he was just John.

We stood next to the elevators and looked at each other. I felt a little sad to say goodbye.

"I want to thank you Lucy."

"For what?"

He shrugged. "For showing me what it's like to have fun again. To have a mate. To actually eat."

I laughed and leaned up, kissing his cheek. "My pleasure."

"Well um, I better be off. Good night Lucy."

"Good night John."

I watched as he left out the door, looking back at me, giving a small wave. I waved back and turned on my heel, making my way into the elevators, smiling like an idiot the entire ride up.

......