2. The Magic of Programming: Unpredictable

Start from the beginning

Some kids groaned while some cheered in interest.

"There!" He remarked finding the perfect page.

"Now, before we begin, I want to establish, um, a class covenant!"

"What's a covenant, Professor Crowe?" Asked Genesis.

"Good question!" He adjusted his glasses, "A covenant is another way to refer to an agreement. That means one or many persons agree on a set of things."

"Isn't that kinda like a bunch of rules?" Snarked Nanini.

"One can say it is, but I say it is a covenant," Crowe replied back in a chipper tone.

"Now, as for the terms..." He began to pace about the classroom, eyeing each and every student.

"I will allow you kids to do anything, and I mean anything in my class, whether it's sleep, leave, or use the restroom, even without that magical PP Pass,"

The children gasped collectively and began to chat amongst themselves.

K.O. thought that was too good to be true.

"Heck, even eat and play!" He paused, waiting for the children to calm a little.

"But only if you children agree to these conditions! Are all of you kids listening?"

"Yes, Professor Crowe!"

"Good!" He stood in the front, very still.

"First, no Power Battles, no fighting of any kind! I don't mean just physically, but academically and morally too!"

The children stopped their cheering.

"I know a few of you are definitely going down a villainous path or are being forced to, and I know the rest of you hero kids don't like them so much. As much as you guys don't get along, I will not tolerate such petty division in my classroom, understood?"

No response.

"Am I understood?" Crowe raised his voice.

"Yes, Professor Crowe!" The children replied back in fear.

"Second, treat the teacher, or whoever is speaking with respect. There is no room for insecurity in my classroom. If one wants to speak up, comment, or criticize, interrupt politely. Please."

The students nodded.

"Third and last," Crowe leaned against the desk, arms crossed with an air of authority, "the most important! Break it and I will fail you—no one is allowed to use their powers."

The students gasped in offense. All of them were panicked and in trembling chatter.

"What?!" K.O. exclaimed.

"But our powers make us who we are!"

"My powers help me do good in school!"

"Ahem!" Crowe cleared his throat in a way so piercing the students had silenced themselves.

"These are the terms of not just my class here with you, but every class that I have handled. I have failed and dropped many students. If any of you disagree, you are free to drop out and take your education somewhere else."

Dendy raised her hand.

Crowe acknowledged her. "What's your name?"

"My name is Dendy, Professor," She stood up in respect. "And I must ask a question."

"Proceed, Dendy."

"If there is anything I know about established agreements, it is that they serve a purpose, a purpose that benefits the parties in question." She adjusted her goggles, "I cannot in good conscience agree until it is clear to everyone why these are the rules—terms, I mean—that you have set in place."