Stay

"Bhai this is just amazing, such a lovely shot of the mighty Himalayas and I can't thank you enough for this baby, this is a killer drone bro."

Arjun Hooda excitedly engaged himself at the drone that his elder brother had gifted him recently.

'I am glad your here chote, thank you once again.'

Aditya replied a little out of breath as they had been hiking over a steep mountain range for nearly an hour now. He made a point to look back at his other companions the Siddiqui sisters who were a few steps behind them. 

"Appi I can't believe you convinced me to come to hiking upar se iss bandar ki  constant bakwaas sunna padh raha hai."

Arjun and Noor had somehow had hit the wrong note the moment they met as Arjun paid a visit to Aditya. 

'Noor aap bhi na you know how much of a help Aditya has been in this entire project and this is just a small token of thanks from our side'.

"Haan appi but pura kaam toh Adi bhaiyya ne kiya hai na yeh bandar ne toh apni drone camera ke saath abhi entry maari hai na."

If there was one person in this entire world who could make Zoya have a good laugh was her chirpy little sister.

'Chodiyen na Noor, remember our little game when we came with abbu? Chaliye race lagate the remember losers are carriers.'

"That's a nice way of avoiding bags." 

She merely smiled at his remark,

'One of those times when you get to enjoy the perks of being an elder sister'. 

She added cheerily while walking by his side, it was a long untrodden path amongst the woods, the white sun rays peeped through the trees and Aditya's gaze landed on her thick ebony hair glistening due to the sunlight.

"Thanks for coming with us Zoya it's always good to hike with more company."

For the first time she noticed that twinkle in Aditya's eyes when he gave that boyish smile of his. The Samurai bun gave him a more fresh and younger look.

'Aaj patah chala aapko kitni irritatation hoti hogi with my continuous 'thank you' speech."

He was quite taken aback by the playful reply of hers. Perhaps, the quiet morning walk around this lonely paths were so familiar to her growing years that drove away her usual inhibitions.

"There is so much calm around, just the chirping of the birds warm morning Sun and the smell of fresh pine."

She took a deep breath as they heard their younger siblings banter a little farther from them.

'Well if you are from the army morning hikes cannot always bring back good memories.'

This subtle humour of his was growing on her with each passing day. The crushing of the dry leaves could be felt beneath their footsteps as they walked further along that lonely path.

"So, you're from the air force right? Kya hua I mean why such a long break. If I may ask."

'No need for formalities Zoya, you can ask me anything. Six months back I was suspended.'

Flashbacks  of his hands trembling while performing his flying duties came rushing back to his mind.

How could he tell her that fateful night two years ago that turned her life upside down also severely affected him. She did not question him further and after walking a little further, they met with the sight of Noor splashing water at Arjun from the small brook that ran through the woods. 

"This was our picnic spot as kids,"

Zoya announced to Aditya with girlish enthusiasm. She was quick to open her shoes and dip her feet in the cold water. She giggled when she saw his reluctant face, the water was freezing cold even for a trained soldier like him who had gone through much rigorous training at the camp. Zoya made place for him to sit in a nearby rock while dipping their feet in the clear running water, he saw her so relaxed as the sun's reflection on the water glistened in her brown orbs as she occasionally chided Noor who was constantly bullying Arjun. 

"How can you laugh at all this she is so rude to him. It's sweet of Arjun to not say anything."

Zoya said clearly annoyed at Aditya,

'Noor is a firebrand I wish I had her as my sibling while growing up you two boring people deserve each other's company'.

Zoya opened her mouth completely shocked and to Aditya's dismay started splashing water at him. At first he warned her many times but after a point he retaliated and only three splashes with his large hands had her soaked and shivering from head to toe. 

Something changed in the air at that particular moment. She looked so tender with the beads of water droplets on her face that involuntarily his rough hands proceeded to wipe her face. That gentle touch made Zoya realize that she dreaded the idea of Aditya leaving Mussoorie some day. For the first time she accepted the lump in her throat that she felt every time the thought of him leaving the place would cross her mind. It was almost like a spell that was casted in the woods for a second and the noise caused by their siblings helped in breaking of the spell.

The ride back home was a silent one, Arjun and Noor had fallen asleep in the backseat.

"Aditya you must be tired do you want me to drive?"

He just nodded in negative without looking at her face.

"At what time are you leaving tomorrow?"

She spoke again.

'Early morning, I will make sure Arjun wakes up early.'

Was his short reply with his eyes still on the road.

"Once winter is gone thethe school will be finally open. You should come to visit this place once at that time. After all it would not have been possible without you."

She had a soft smile on her face as she said this.

'Yes, but you won't be around na? Tum toh yahan nahin rahogi.'

No way did he want to sound rude but it came out as a sharp short reply.

There was so much uneasiness in the air that silence felt like frost bites during early winter mornings.

"Bilal was not from here, he lived in London all his life with his grandparents but visited us during vacations. He always loved children and I grew up believing that every child should grow up with lots of happiness in their lives and money should not be an obstacle. I know it sounds childish and utopian. When he left us suddenly I knew a place where he will always find peace will be omf the laughter of children. Issi liye the well being of this school where children of all background can come and learn, play and grow is so important to me and my family."

She kept quiet and looked away to the horizon when there was no response from the other side.

The evening sky had turned bright orange, cold breeze knocked on her face making her wake up from her light sleep at intervals. Aditya clasped the steering wheels tightly for all he wanted to was stop the car and take her in his arms pushing back the strands of hair to the back of her ears. Of course he could not do all this because the very reason that he met her was enough to push her away from him. All these while he thought he looked at her photograph every night was because of the guilt he carried, but the moment his eyes struck hers the first time he came to Mussoorie was the death of him. Not that he had not seen more beautiful women than her,  but never had a woman who made him gulp down a neat alcohol as much as she did. For her he had madly searched for Bilal's killer, ruined his flourishing career and almost destroyed his own life. As her eyelashes were drooping heavily with  sleep this woman had no idea that she had the power to drive him to insanity. 

As he saw her walking towards her home Aditya let out a deep sigh for perhaps this might have been the last time they were seeing each other. With the break of dawn a new day would set in bringing the letter to her that would change everything between them.

(There's nothing more precious than your comments dear readers, please do give back your reviews.)