eight

CHAPTER EIGHT - THE FATHER

It had been almost three days since the Winchester brothers left for their new hunt

It had been almost three days since the Winchester brothers left for their new hunt. The two teens weren't worried— or well, Thea wasn't. She couldn't exactly say the same for Jack though. He spent most of the morning wondering what was taking them so long, asking Thea if she knew where they went or how long they had said they'd be gone.

He only calmed down when she showed him the note that Sam had left behind; he then chose to spend the rest of the day in the library as he did the day before. Thea accompanied him for a couple hours before she made her way into the kitchen, deciding to make burgers for the two of them. She barely placed the second slice of cheese onto the second patty when she heard rushed footsteps come from down the hall.

The wolf turned just in time to see Jack enter the kitchen; he was grinning and holding a pencil between his thumb and pointer finger, waving it around in glee.

"I did it!"

Without waiting for a reply, he skipped up to the metal counter that stood between them, placing the pencil down only to have it float back toward his hand and drop after a few seconds. It wobbled terribly but that didn't deter his smile. He stared at her in unhindered excitement.

"I can move the pencil."

Thea reciprocated his enthusiasm with a big smile and a snug embrace. "That's great, Jack! I'm so proud of you."

They stood in each other's arms, longer than usual friends would; neither wanted to let go. When they did, the pull away was slow and uncertain. The two teens stayed mere inches away, until the female lycan finally noticed their close proximity and scurried back to the sizzling stove.

Once again, she grew awkward in his presence.

She gestured toward the table in the corner, stuttering. "Here, sit, um... I'm, uh, almost done. With lunch, so... yeah." She swiftly turned her back on him as he nodded and sat at the table. In her mind, she beat herself up for her nervous school girl behavior.

She spared a glance over her shoulder, seeing him manipulate the pencil once again as he waited. Thea smiled as she watched him before returning her attention to the burgers on the stove.

~~~

Before they knew it, nighttime had rolled around and they were back in the library, doing what they had done for the last couple of days.

The female lycan placed the book down and threw her head back, letting out an exasperated sigh. Bored out of her mind, she glanced at the boy across from her and got up from her seat. She maneuvered around the table and leaned over his shoulder, studying the contents on his computer screen.

"What are you looking at?"

Jack shifted slightly to show her with a crooked grin. "I think I found a case."