Chapter Twelve

The next morning, Hermione had shown Harry the letter, deciding not to hide Ministry matters from her husband. Harry was pissed.

"For the love of Merlin, they shouldn't be allowed to send this shit to people! Do they not think of how insensitive this is?" He spat, tossing the letter on the kitchen table. He paced back and forth, his hand running through his raven locks as he tried to find a solution. "They've got another thing coming if they think they're tossing you out on your arse. I swear, if they as much as try to lay a finger on you, I'll send them behind the veil myself."

Hermione nodded her head, unsure of what to say. Harry wrapped his arms around her, placing a tender kiss on her head. "Don't you worry, love. Everything will be alright."

Over the next few days, Hermione found herself pulling away from her husband, busying herself in her work at St. Mungo's, taking extra cases. She couldn't help but feel as if pieces of her were being torn from her as each day passed. The words from the letter plagued her mind, a reminder that her time in the Wizarding World was coming to an end in less than two years. Still, she continued to take her fertility potions, praying for a miracle each night before she went to sleep.

The week before the baby shower, Hermione found herself inside Baby Witch, the only baby shop in Diagon Alley. She browsed through the shop, in hopes of finding gifts for Ginny and Luna. She picked up a couple of cases of nappies, one for each of the soon-to-be-mothers, placing them in the trolley. As she walked onto the next aisle, she found sky blue flannels with baby duckies on them. "Luna would love these for the boys." Hermione smiled, placing them next to the nappies. She found a green baby blanket, etched with Golden Snitches for Ginny, knowing full well they'd be pleased since she and her husband were former Quidditch players. She began to make her way to the front of the store when she spied a walnut cot. She slowly made her way to it, knots forming in the pit of her stomach. She gripped the side of the cot, shutting her eyes as she kept her tears in check.

She slowly opened her eyes, staring at the white blanket, embroidered with broomsticks over its surface. In the upper right-hand corner of the cot sat a small, stuffed Snowy Owl. A small smile rested on the corner of her mouth, thoughts of Hedwig filling her mind. 'Oh, Harry would love this.'

Hermione forced herself away from the cot, feeling her heart shatter with each step she took, glancing one last time at the cot before pushing the trolley to the cash register, in hopes of escaping from this store before her tears broke free.

The day of the shower arrived. Harry stood in the doorway; his arms folded across his chest as he watched his wife conjure all the willpower within her as she began to get ready to head to the Burrow. She finished slipping into a green, strapless sundress when she stood in front of him, turning around as she lifted her hair from her back.

"Can you zip me up, please?"

"Sure." He told her softly, pulling up her white zipper. "You don't have to go today, you know."

Hermione sighed deeply, shutting her eyes for a mere moment before turning around to face him. "I promised Ginny and Luna I would be there, I'm going." She told him, rather abruptly. She walked over towards the bed, slipping on her white flip flops. Harry nodded his head in defeat, wishing she would change her mind about going. He knew today was going to be hard on her, but what could he do? He surely couldn't stop her from going.

They arrived at the Burrow fifteen minutes later, greeting everyone as they walked through the front door. The women gathered around the living room, watching as Ginny and Luna opened their gifts, whereas the men found themselves outside. Harry stood in the middle of the yard, feeling the cool breeze kiss his face as he sensed someone coming from behind him. He turned around, coming face to face with his best friend. "Didn't want your testosterone to drop anymore huh?"