Chapter Two

Silence continued to fill the air. Harry and Hermione's gaze unfaltering on each other while Ron's mouth gaped open as he read the contents of his letter. Harry's heartbeat paced faster, thoughts of his brown-eyed best friend clouding his mind.

      'Hermione? Hermione's on my list?' Harry asked himself over and over, unsure how he should feel. There had been a time when his feelings for Hermione had grown into a crush when he was fourteen, to something more during their time they had spent together those couple of months without Ron while they continued to search for horcruxes. Then when the war ended, Ron and Hermione had started dating briefly. He pushed his feelings aside, wanting his friends to find happiness. But their relationship hadn't lasted for more than a month before they called it off, agreeing they were better off as friends than a couple. A few months later, they moved in with Harry, who was still unable to come to terms with his true feelings for Hermione.

       "They're mad, bonkers, the lot of them." Ron spoke, causing Harry and Hermione to break their gaze. "Who'd they pair you off with?

        Hermione tried her best to hide the blush creeping on her cheeks, while Harry spoke up first.           "Pansy! Pansy fucking Parkinson."

       "You've got to be joking. They paired you with her?! She wanted everyone to toss you off to Voldemort!"

        "No kidding. I sure as hell won't be making any contact with her."

       "What about you, Herms? What bloke did they pick for you?" Ron asked, turning his attention to Hermione. She looked down at the ground, trying her hardest to avert her gaze from Harry.

        "Dean Thomas and Ernie Macmillan." Hermione said quietly as she lifted her head. She didn't want to admit that she was a bit nervous, after all the man she had been in love with since she was fourteen was on the top of her list. "And you?"

     "Padma Patil, Lavender Brown, and Luna Lovegood." Ron said, rolling his eyes as Hermione and Harry burst out into a fit of laughter.

      "Someone is out to get you, Mate." Harry chortled. "You best hope Lav-Lav doesn't start sending you jewelry again." Ron glared at him, chucking a pillow in his direction.

     "Piss off."

      "Oh, come on, Mate. Out of the three of them, Luna would be the obvious choice for you."

      "I agree. Luna is one of the nicest girls I've ever met. Not to mention she's been on our side since the day we met her." Hermione said as she quickly folded her letter, tucking it into her jean pocket.

     Ron stared at his friends in disbelief, his jaw dropping slightly. He had to admit, out of the three, Luna was the most promising match for him. Padma had hardly spoken to him since the Yule Ball incident and Lavender was mental. "I'll think about it." He told them, rubbing the nape of his neck. "I'm going to get ready to turn in, tomorrow is my day to open up the shop for George while he and Angelina go to their first Healer appointment."

     "Night Mate." Harry told him, waving to his friend as he ascended the staircase.

      "Good Night, Ronald." Hermione told him. The pair stood there in silence as Ron closed his bedroom door behind him, neither one knowing what to say. Harry and Hermione's gaze flickered to each other once more, as Harry shoved his hands into the pockets of his jeans.

      "Do you want to talk about it, Harry?" Hermione asked, breaking the silence between them.

       "Talk about what?" he asked her, shrugging his shoulders.