Pain

Hiiiii everybody, welcome back! 5 days ago, this fic reached 1k reads, and now, it's over 1150. That's crazy, y'all. It may not seem like much, but to me it's crazy. Also, 2 stories updated in one day? I'm out of my damn mind

...................

Barb's pov 

I was just chatting. That was what I was doing when it happened. My mom, already 74 years old, had come to surprise me on my job. Julie had decided to let me be free for half an hour so I could talk to her.

"So honey," she smiled as we walked around the hospital. "How are your patients? That lovely girl, you liked so much, Stella?"

"Well. She's... coping with some things." I answered.

"Oh, whats wrong?" She insisted.

"One of my other CF patients, a young, beautiful boy, is gonna leave us soon. She is in love with him." I looked at my coffee, avoiding her eyes.

"But if they have that disease, wouldn't they not be able to touch or get close?" She furrowed her eyebrows.

"That's right. But love came through for these two. She's gonna he crushed when he passes."

"That's such a pity." Her voice dripped empathy, but so had all the ones who had beards about my two children. "What's the name of the boy?"

"Will Newman."

"What?" She looked at me worriedly. "Will Newman, about 18, black messy hair, loves to draw?"

"What the hell?" I didn't understand how she could know that. "How do you- what the-?"

"You remember when I fell a few years ago? And I had to stay for six months at the hospital?"

"Yeah." I remembered, she went to one that was really close to her house.

"Well, remember that I met a little kid at the hospital's cafeteria, the eleven year old who came to my room and stayed with me for hours."

"Yeah?" I looked at her, weirded out.

"Well..." she looked at me intently.

"That kid was Will?!" I couldn't believe it. I'd never met the child, but he'd apparently known my mother? And he was Will?! It was like two universes had collided with each other. I really couldn't believe it. Will had been super important to my mother, and key for her recovery.

"Oh, my God. Guess that life for you." I mumbled, still dumbfounded.

"I'd like to see that scrawny booger, if you don't mind." My mother laughed, and it almost seemed like she wanted to cry at the same time. "Before he kicks the bucket."

"Mom! Don't say that!" I shushed her, horrified.

"He used to tell me that, this boy. He said that even if I was old, I shouldn't be worried, because when I 'kicked the bucket' I wouldn't be alone in heaven, because he was sick and would go to keep me company. When he was transferred to another hospital, he cried so much. He said he didn't wanna leave me." She wiped a tear that had escaped her eye. "I told him I was gonna leave anyway."

"That's okay, mom." I comforted her.

"No, you see, he said that he wouldn't be able to visit me, because they didn't really let him leave the hospital, but I told him I would. He gave me his room number, and everything!" She covered her face.

"Mom, I know that Will spent little time in various hospitals before he came to this one. He was probably moved before you had the chance to visit him."

"Would you mind then... letting me see him?" She asked shyly.

"Of course, mom, let's go. Maybe he will be feeling strong enough to talk to us for a while.

"Oh, that'd be great." Hope shone in her eyes.

We circled back to the entrance, and as we were entering through the main door, my phone rang.

"Yes?" I answered.

"Doctor Barb?" A voice asked through the speaker.

"Charlie?" I was confused. What was he doing calling my personal cell? "What's up?" How did you get my number?"

"Doctor Barb." He sounded relieved to be talking to me, yet nervous at the same time. "We have a situation."

"Just spill it, Charlie." I sighed. "What have you done wrong? I'm not gonna punish you, or anything."

"We fear... Will has sneaked out of the room without warning anybody. We don't know where he is."

"What?!" I had been gone for fifteen minutes, and he had already disappeared? 

But the conversation was chopped short when a child screamed outside. 

My doctor instincts kicked in at full force, and I ran out to see if he was okay. He was, he was screaming for another reason, as he looked up, horrified.

And then the cannula hit the floor. The sound of it crashing against the pavement like a gun firing off. People helped in surprise, and when they looked up to see were it had come from, the yelping turned into screaming.

They had seen him, and so had I.

My blood froze, stopped cold in my veins.

It was him.

Pale, weakened, beautiful and sweet as he was, standing on the edge of the building. 

Oh, my God. Oh, no, he was gonna jump, he was gonna kill himself. Oh, my child. I panicked.

"Will, Will baby! No! Don't jump, please, don't jump!" I begged screaming.

 "Oh, my God, is that him?!" My mom asked, scared as hell, as she looked up. "Will! Will, please don't jump!" She yelled beside me.

But we were both drowned out by the audience, who'd heard us calling his name, and were referring to him as well, yelling to try to get him to not do what I realized he was going to do for sure. 

He glanced down at us for a second, and that's when I knew there was nothing I could do. He hadn't seen me. My arms went limp and I fell to the floor, not feeling my body. My mother helped me up quickly, and when I looked back at my child he was checking his pocket.

He stopped for a moment afterwards, and that's when the crowd realized he was about to do it.

The yelling stopped, and we just watched impotently as he took a step forward and plunged into the Earth.

The people who had gathered to 'catch' him scrambled away, and time seemed to stop as he fell,  his perfect face flying down in slow motion, my horrified expression matching everyone else's as he got closer and closer to us.

He was gonna land on his shoulders, neck parallel to the cement, back perpendicular.

The sound would be almost worse than the sight. It would be as if all his bones had imploded, just to crack loudly at the same time. 

My lips formed the shape of his name.

And then...

Then he hit the ground.