Chapter Twenty-Two

Chapter Twenty-Two

Day 47.

"So," I munch on an apricot, studying the paper on the counter in front of me. "How much do you know about this golem?"

"Not much." Ahmose shrugs, tossing an apricot up in the air. He catches it in his mouth and bites into it. "In my defense, I have not met him."

"How do you know it's a him?" I point my apricot stone at him. "Maybe it's a her."

"Because of the name. Golem." Ahmose shrugs. "Not goler."

I giggle. "That makes no sense. Just because the name ends a certain way doesn't mean the monster is a certain gender."

"Can you prove that?"

I blink. "Well... no."

"Exactly." He lobs another apricot at me. "Eat."

I catch the apricot and give him a look. "Alright, fine. Until we have more information, the golem could be male or female. It's Schrödinger's Golem."

"Who's Schrödinger?"

"C'mon. Schrödinger's cat?" I gawk at him when he shakes his head. "How have you not heard of Schrödinger? You've been re-awoken every single century, surely—"

I cut myself off when I see the look on his face.

"Oh ha ha." I say dryly. He cracks a grin. "You're messing with me. Very funny."

"You are incredibly gullible, Kiara." Ahmose replies bemusedly. "Sometimes you make it too easy to mess with you."

I throw the apricot back at him. "Shut up. Do you or do you not want to hear what I found out about the golem?"

"I am sorry." Ahmose holds his hands up in the air. He leans back against the wall, crossing his arms over his chest. I can't resist watching the way his muscles flex with the casual movement. "What did you find out?"

"Alright. So you know that they're mindless creatures made of clay who are bound to their master's whim?" I ask. Ahmose nods, the joking expression that had previously lit up his handsome features replaced by one of brooding solemnity. "Well apparently they're not just bound to their master's whim, they're also fiercely loyal to them. Which basically means that they'll do anything that their master asks them to do without question."

"That should not matter so long as we do not run into the golem's master." Ahmose responds. "Which shouldn't be a problem considering he died several hundred years ago."

"Allegedly." I point out. "Maybe this rabbi managed to figure out how to live eternally. If he can animate a lump of clay, it's not unreasonable to think he could still be alive."

Ahmose considers my point, tilting his head to the side. "It is not one of the less outrageous happenstances this curse has forced us to encounter."

"I accept your surrender." I grin when his eyes narrow and carry on before he can berate me. I flick through my pages. "According to Jewish folklore, a golem's rabbi has to write a shem—"

"One of the names of their God." Ahmose interrupts. I roll my eyes at him.

"Yes, Sir Shows-Off-A-Lot, that is correct." I huff and continue. "Anyway, the rabbi has to write a shem on a piece of paper and put it in the golem's mouth. If that piece of paper is removed, then the golem is deactivated and falls apart. I guess it has something to do with removing the living representation of God from the otherwise inanimate clay, or something."