Loki watched his brother move ahead of them ─ stepping off the cobblestoned streets of Asgard and into the dense forest surrounding the kingdom ─ and exhaled a sigh through his nostrils. He closed his eyes, wishing that he had gone on this expedition alone, for he wasn't sure how much more of his brother he could take.

"Footsteps. Over here!"

The voice of Sif's cut through the bitter weather. Loki and Thor moved toward where Sif leant hunched over with her hand gliding over the glistening snow below her, and they peered down over her shoulder. The imprints of feet had a fair distance between them, as if this person ─ no doubt a woman by the delicate shape and the width of the heel ─ was running away. It would make sense why Skadi would run, as Odin's subjects were pursuing her like they were hunting down a wild boar.

"Small," Sif noted. "I dare say these belong to Skadi."

Loki lowered himself into a crouch beside Sif and he extended a hand, touching the snow beside the imprints of feet. Just by studying them at a closer distance, he could tell that someone had made them recently. Hope blossomed within his heart, for maybe ─ just maybe ─ they would find her.

"Yes," Loki agreed with her assumption, standing tall once more. "This direction seems the likely path. Let's go."

And so they did.

。。。

The cold didn't seem to bother Skadi Ullrdottir like it once did as the goddess ran through the trees of the dense forest surrounding her; her breathing heavy and scared, eyes sliding across the area for some place that she can hide out until Odin's men lose track of her. She has gone on and on, not even sure how long she has been running for. Her lungs are screaming for air and a knot had formed in gut, causing much discomfort as she ran. When her foot caught hold of a collapsed tree, she hit the ground hard and loud, a pained grunt falling from her mouth.

The snow is cold and her mother's coronation dress dampens at its touch, yet she doesn't shiver. Not like she used to when it would snow. Her Consummation Coronation seemed to make her immune to cool temperatures now. She can feel her new strength and its sensation thriving in her bones. It's unfamiliar and powerful; it terrified her.

Skadi can still hear the frightened cries and see the fearful expressions of the people who supported her rise to the winter title in her mind. They feared her now, and that broke her. She never wanted this, to be the one people feared. But here she is, fleeing from the soldiers chasing her down with spears and shields, wishing for nothing more than to be in her chambers and wrapped in the furs of her bed, where she would wake up and all of this would be a dream. Or more so a nightmare.

But it wasn't.

Every part of this day has been true, and she was now a woman feared by many.

Skadi wondered what her father was thinking right now. If he feels concern or if he's ashamed of her actions. She wondered what Queen Frigga, Loki and her friends thought; if they are just as afraid of her as everybody else is. And what of Odin? Did he think her a threat to end now? Was he disappointedin her because, while her mother had taken the title of Goddess of Winter with ease ─ rising from her knee with a smile on her face at her Consummation Coronation ─ she had summoned a blinding blizzard that left Asgard consumed by ice and snow?

A sob fell from Skadi's mouth at the aching pain blossoming within her chest. She would give anything to have her mother with her right now. To feel her soft touch brush away each warm tear and hear her calm voice whisper words of comfort against her platinum hair as her mother held her close. So close that Skadi could feel the drum of her mother's heartbeat against her the flesh of her cheek.

Thinking of her mother only made everything about her life right now hurt more, her sobs which shook her body rising in volume.

Her sobs soon fell silent, and they left her throat hoarse. The woman swallowed the lump in her throat and forced herself to stand. When she took a step forward, a surge of pain burst from her ankle and a gasp fell from her lips. Then, the woman found herself back in the snow.

There has been so many times where she could have become injured, but now, of all moments, was by far the worst.

Skadi used the base of a tree to haul herself onto her feet, and when she was standing once more, she scanned the area around her for a branch that she could use for support. With a fallen branch serving as a cane, the winter goddess limbed for some time. And when the sky overheard glistening with stars, she trembled. Not out of cold, but out of fear. Fear of what lived within these dense woodlands of Asgard. She knew very well that the people hunt, but her knowledge for what had vanished from her memory. She went on without a destination, her ankle throbbing with each step she took.

Much to the woman's luck, she came upon a cavern at the top of a slight incline. The corners of her mouth stretched back into a relieved smile and she stumbled toward it. She entered with caution, her breath hitched in her throat as she listened for the sound of an animal. The last thing she needed was for this cavern to be the home of some wild boar that could further injure her with its sharp tusks.

When she heard nothing, Skadi stepped inside.

She found some branches and moss untouched by the wet snow; scraping two rocks together, the Goddess of Winter got a small fire going. Sure it was not for warmth, but at least it gave her light within the darkness of the cave. That was enough to slow the pace of her heart, as she has always feared the dark and what things lived within it. It was one of her greatest fears, but who wasn't frightened of the dark?

The woman tried her best to push away the screams and the haunting images of the frightened faces from her mind to get some rest, but she found it difficult to do so. She tossed and turned with silent tears spilling down her pale white cheeks as she pleaded for her mind to shut down for the night. Skadi wasn't sure how long it was before she drifted off into a sleep, but she did, and it was not as peaceful as she hoped.