Chapter 21

IMASK

Edited

Chapter 21

       Sighing as I sat down in the red, leather booth in the far corner of the Cafe, I watched Jessie slide in across from me, plugging in the charger he borrowed from the Barista. When he asked her for it, she batted her eye lashes and played with her hair, making me want to puke so I had to walk away. The affect Jessie had on any type of woman was mind boggling. She had to be at least in her mid thirties. But what surprised me the most was that Jessie didn't even give her a second glance. He asked her for it, gave a tight smile, then walked over to me with a cup of hot tea.

       “Here, drink this. It'll make you feel better,” he said, sliding the white mug slowly over to me as not to spill it. I took it thankfully and sat up, rubbing my arms to get the goose bumps to go away. God, why was it so freaking cold in here? Jessie noticed this and slipped off his jacket, handing it to me to take. I hesitated, looking up to meet Jessie's eyes. He nodded once, my fingers wrapping around the worn leather. He must have had it for a long time, I thought. It's completely broken in. Slipping my arms through the sleeves, I pulled it close to me, closing my eyes and sighing softly as the warmth surrounded me. Jessie looked fiddled with his phone, his eyes on the screen as it came on, the hot herb tea running down my throat in soft tendrils.

       Looking around the Cafe, I noticed that there wasn't really anyone here. Just the light sound of the barista making a coffee for a man in a brown coat and rain boots. I looked over to the other side of the room and saw an old couple talking softly; the old man holding the old woman's hand as he spoke to her. I smiled softly, looking back over at Jessie. His phone was on and he was scrolling thought it, his eyebrows scrunched and his lips pursed in a cute way. And no, I am not denying it. Jessie is so cute when he's concentrating. Not that I'll ever tell him that, though. I'll keep that for myself.

   Sitting up more and letting my legs fall off the seat, a low hiss slipped from my teeth when my ankle stung again. Jessie looked up at me and raised an eyebrow.

      “What's the matter?” He asked. I shook my head, waving him off. It was nothing really. I probably just twisted my ankle when I was drunk.

        “Nothing, My ankle keeps bothering me. I keep getting a sharp pain when I move it, and its been kind of warm. But I think I just twisted my ankle or something,” I said offhandedly, not thinking much of it. But Jessie's gaze intensified. I gave him a weird look and sipped my tea.

        “What kind of sharp pain?” He asked me, his tone anything but playful. I set my mug down and rotated my joint, getting that familiar pain again.

        “Its a light burn. Like pins and needles, but in one specific area. I'm sure I'm fine, Jessie. Stop hovering,” I said, Smiling a little as I grabbed a sugar packet. Jessie eyed me warily as I ripped open the white packet and poured the contents into my hand. Licking one finger, I dipped it into the crystals and then brought it up to my tongue, licking it off. Jessie raised an eyebrow.

        “Nervous habit,” I said, picking up my mug with my free hand and sipping it, the liquid now cooler.

        “Arissa, let me see your ankle. Which one is it?” He asked standing up. I sighed and turned in the booth, both of my legs now hanging out side of my little area.

       “It's the right one. Its nothing, I'm sure. You're fanning over me like a worried mother-” but my pleas were cut short when Jessie pulled off my heal, revealing my black socks. He lifted my pant leg a little, a smile slowly crawling up his face. I tried to look, but Jessie head was in the way. I flicked him.