Chapter 24

:/ Short

***

The sound of forks clattering against plates was the only sound you could hear in the dining room. I looked up from my plate slightly to take a peak at my Father, who was sitting at the other end of the table. Sidney glanced up at me and gave me a tight smile, then looked over at my father, who was in the middle of cutting his steak. I looked over to see Lucy happily eating her food, immune to the odd feeling in the air. Although, when I looked over at Sam, I could tell by the way she was fidgeting that she could feel it. Its been this way since he came home. My father has always carried this vibe with him... a dark one. I've been subjected to it for years, but Sam and Lucy aren't that... used to it, yet.

"Arissa May," My father called, making me instinctively drop my utensils, put my hands in my lap, and give him my full attention; food forgotten. Just like it was rehearsed.

"Yes Father?" I said, waiting patiently for him to look up and meet my gaze. I felt like a robot, reacting immediately to my creator. I absolutely hated it, but I couldn't do anything about it. Not yet... I waited, until he finally wiped his mouth with his napkin and looked up at me.

"What are you planning to do with that mutt you found? I don't want it roaming around this house, tearing up the furniture I paid good money for. Do you understand me, child?" He said in a firm voice, making me grit my teeth together. I looked down at my plate, closed my eyes and inhaled softly.

"I know, Father. I'm going to give it to one of Cat's relatives," I said, looking back up at him, trying my hardest not to glare. My father gave me a look, grabbing his glass of wine, swishing it, then taking a sip.

"Cat?" He asked, obviously confused by the nickname. I smiled a little and closed my eyes once more, hating that he doesn't remember Cat's nickname we've had since grade school. You've only known her forever...

"Cathrine. Cathrine Cobble, my best friend. Did you forget or something? I can't blame you, considering the fact that you're never here," I said tightly, grabbing my fork and stabbing my salad and taking a bite. I felt the tension in the air grow even ticker than before, I could probably cut it with my butter knife. Evryone was holding their breath.

"You know I work a lot, Arissa May. I can't just give up work to be here, I have to pay to keep a roof over your head and bread on the table. Do you understand that, young lady?" he asked. I took another bite of my salad, not answering right away.

"You could still be home more often-" I mummbled.

"Do I make myself clear, Arissa May?" He said firmly and a bit loud. I slammed my fork down and stood up, my chair falling back behind me, making the three ladies flinch. I made complete eye contact and even dared to glare a bit.

"Yes, of course, Father. Crystal. Clear," I said through my teeth, excusing myself from the table and locking myself in my room for the rest of the night.

*************************

"You'd think because I haven't seen him in weeks, he'd be more... fatherly." I said, talking to Cat on the other line. I heard her pop a chip into her mouth and chew.

"Well, you can't exactly be surprised, he does this every time," She said with her mouth full, making me cringe. She knows that's gross...

"I know... but this time was different. It was like he was trying to show me off or something. Like 'Haha, look what I can do,' you know?" I said, plopping onto my bed and sighing heavily.