Junie's Pick: They of the Sun

The following pick I chose is in honor of the story updating not too long ago. For a while, this book was on hiatus, but seeing that there was an update really made my day. The story is very interesting, and it's one of the first books I had discovered when I created this account.

They of the Sun by artsynderella

Genre: Action, Adventure, Pokéfic

Chapters Posted: 24 chapters

Update Schedule: Random

So, They of the Sun starts with Cyra, the main character (who is your equivalent to Moon from Sun and Moon) getting in trouble due to the multiple fights she has started. These fights aren't Pokémon fights. No, they are ones she started against her other classmates. From the start, it's already evident that she's a trouble maker.

And, like any trouble maker, you can probably infer that she's going to start out on a journey to get better. While that does happen, here's the thing that makes this story a bit more interesting than what could normally happen in other stories. Instead of enjoying herself, listening that she's going to be the chosen on, and make friends, she rebels.

You know how many Pokéfics I've picked up and it almost seems like the main character flips personalities just because they start a journey or are forced to do something they don't want to? It's too many to count. What's amazing about this book is that the characters stay true to themselves. They may show a deeper side to them, but true to what would happen, if a character has built up barriers, those barriers stay up. If a character feels exposed in a humiliating away, it is shown. If a character is happy-go-lucky, then that character is a happy-go-lucky kind of person. If a character is absolutely genuine and sweet...you get the point. These character stay true to themselves and feel real. It's so refreshing to see this happen in a story, especially since seeing how characters interact with one another is one of my favorite aspects about any story.

I also love the plot that the writer has written for this story. Cyra is rebelling against doing what the Island Guardians and the rest of the island wants her to do. While she does that, it doesn't mean she isn't unlikable. It sounds like she would be, but she isn't. I think the author did a wonderful job making these interesting characters that just really make a reader crave more. Every character, including ones in Team Skull, are very enjoyable to read about.

And I believe that is all I can really say about it without spoiling anything major. Honestly, this book is amazing. I highly recommend reading They of the Sun if you haven't already. Even if you haven't played/watched Sun and Moon, or Ultra Sun and Ultra Moon (like myself) it's very easy to understand and follow through. If you're looking for something new to read, this would be a good start!