Review: For Her Hand

For Her Hand by LittleTyrunt

Genre: Romance.

Chapters Reviewed: 25 chapters.

Update Schedule: 2-3 chapters a week.

Where do I begin with this review because For Her Hand is simply an amazing book. It's beautifully written and very well executed. The main character, Seth Da Silva, has entered the contest that could potentially give him a chance to gain Princess Allie's hand, but that's not why Seth has entered, as he's seeing it as an opportunity to help his family's financial problem. Now, usually when a character is doing something for the money, that character is doing it for the wrong intentions, has some problem that makes said character a bit irritable, and so forth; however, that is not the case for our hero. He is a lovable character who is so sweet, even to his sister (like, cmon! I love my brothers, but I wish I had him as one!)

Okay, so maybe Seth seems a bit too perfect, which could be seen as a flaw. At least, it would be had there not been the love interest in the story, or rather who the competition is for: Princess Allie. While all the competitors want to win the Pokémon League to woo her, Seth doesn't. He sees right through Allie, as she is described to be a snot in the beginning. Having this character the way she is was definitely a smart move on the author's part.

As for what needs to improve on, I'm a strictler when it comes to grammar/spelling (despite my own works being filled with those errors, causing me to edit them 24/7). With this being said, I am pleased to say there aren't many spelling errors; however, on multiple occasions, I'll find errors in capitalization. I'm not sure how strict contests are of this particular rule, but it is something that you may have to look at and watch out for while you are writing/editing. My tip is to look at the first word of every sentence as that's where I usually come across the capitalization errors. It's an easy fix, one that can be completed before future contests.

But, other than that, I don't see anything wrong with this book. The plot-line for it just amazing. While most "traineresque" books are centered around the gym battling or something that can become quite tiresome to read, the author has incorporated sword fights, friendships and romance, and will even has put in scenes as to what's going on outside of Seth's current journey. It's great! Every chapter gives new material that makes the reader eager to know more.

And then there's the description that's given...it's perfect. I love reading books with detail as to what's going on. Between the details and the pace of the story, it's crystal clear. Even during scene changes, the author inserted a nice little pictured break. Not only has the author put time into doing this, but it looks appeasing when reading.

I love the different personalities the author has given his characters, which I mentioned earlier with Seth and Allie. Oh, and the Pokémon! First off, I've rarely seen a Pokéfic that's used a Pawniard as the main Pokémon. It works too, especially with all the other Pokémon Seth has (which I won't reveal due to spoilers). I love how each character was given Pokémon that reflect who the trainer is, rather than given Pokémon for the fun of it.

Readers, if you are looking for a book with daring sword fights, a romance that isn't tacky, and book filled with wonderful description, then this is a great story to look into. It's a very enjoyable, and honestly, besides capitalization errors, this story seems to be heading into the right direction.

While being a big fan of this book, I had the pleasure to interview LittleTyrunt about his book, For Her Hand.

JunieWeather: I've noticed that you've written a plethora of books before writing FHH, and FHH is a bit different than your previous books. What inspired you to write FHH?

LittleTyrunt: Oh, where do I begin with that one? Okay, so I watched the XY series, personally my favorite series, and as I watched, there came a particular episode where this spoiled little princess named Allie attempted to win Ash's Pikachu. I think that's how the episode went. Anyway, I looked at that and thought, "wow, what a spoiled brat." Fast forward some time later, and I found myself wanting to write something different. Something like a clash between Pokémon and a fairy tale of a hero and his princess. And then it hit me, Pokémon HAS one in XY. So I aged her appropriately and created Seth, and turned the usual League Challenge into a contest like in a lot of fairy tales, for a hand of a princess. It was an idea that was a long time in the making.

JW: It's such an original idea too, so I'm glad you found that connection. What has been your favorite part about writing it?

Ty: Honestly, my favorite part about writing it is just that, it's unique, and I get to rework the original storyline of the games into something completely different and unexpected. I love adding twists to what people are familiar with. It makes it all worth it in the end. Too many books have the same old storyline and to me, that's okay if they want to do that, but I'd rather give it something more. Something that will have readers eagerly waiting for the next chapter.

JW: I'll agree, there are a lot of Pokefics that seem to be the same, so it's good to hear you took a different direction and enjoy it as well. When reading it, I've noticed that you've incorporated characters from the game/anime as well as have come up with your own original characters. Which do you find harder to write: coming up with new characters or incorporating ones from the game/anime?

Ty: In all honesty, it's the characters from the anime that are a bit more difficult to write. Coming up with my own isn't much of a problem. It's making sure I can portray characters from the anime the correct way, and preserving their personalities that's the difficult part.

JW: I can see where the can be challenging. Who has been your favorite character to write in your book?

Ty: Aside from the MC, Seth, I'd have to say his teacher, Mathilde. Writing the flashbacks with her and a younger Seth was an idea I'd been testing and it seems to be working out better than I'd expected. The way she comes off as really strict during teaching, and then completely switches it up unexpectedly, revealing how she is outside of teaching, is something I love about writing her. She's just so fun to write!

JW: I think it's cool that you've made her a complex character. As a reader, it's very interesting to read scenes that she's in. What gave you the idea to make Mathilde the way she is?

Ty: Okay, so I am a huge fan of swordsman in general, and one of my favorite female swordsman has to be Erza Scarlet. Yes, I know, it's Fairy Tail, but I loved her character. The way she went from serious to lighthearted was amazing. Call her a name and she doesn't bat an eye, but mess with her cake and you'd better pray for mercy. So I took the serious/mischievous mentality and created Mathilde.

JW: That's awesome. I've never watched Fairy Tail, but she sounds like a pretty neat character. Is there anything you would like to share about your story to anyone who will be reading the review?

Ty: If the readers are looking for new take on the XY games where the villains are more of a threat rather than the laughing stock that they were, this would be something to consider reading. It has plenty of action and romance for all to enjoy.

JW: Thank you again for agreeing to this interview, and like Ty mentioned, this book is packed with action and romance, so I highly recommend it as well.

Junie's Reviews and Promo Book (Closed)On viuen les histories. Descobreix ara