30. s t a r l i g h t

Five years later

The stars were prettier here.

We've moved from Angola to Burundi to Moldova. Those five years of service had ended a month ago, and we were free to resume our normal lives back in America. But when we went back, something didn't feel quite right.

And I had to tell someone.

When I went back, I was accepted into Hestia Medical, via an anonymous application. Nicole approved it on the last day of her work.

When she had come to realize it was me that she had summoned to her office, she was in shock.

"Emma. Oh, my sweet girl." She went over and pulled me into a hug, and I embraced her in return. This was the warm embrace that had brought me through some of my darkest days.

"How were the travels? You have to tell me everything." She grinned.

I sat down with her on the couch. "It was amazing."

All the years of hard work trying to deal with the aftermath had caused her to age visibly. The once picture-perfect model now had grey hair emerging, and small crinkles around her eyes. It kind of made me sad to know how hard she had worked. I cared for her deeply, now that she was my new family.

She looked behind me, and seemed kind of sad. "But where is Nicholas?"

I looked around nervously. "Well, the thing is... I wanted to tell you something first."

"What is it?" She held my hand gently, patting it comfortingly. "You can tell me."

I felt so sheepish to say it. But I knew beating around the bush just made her more nervous. And so I showed her the stick I had been holding nervously in the palm of my hand.

"I--"

"Oh my god." She breathed, taking it immediately. She stared at the two lines, and I was so incredibly grateful that a brilliant smile started to emerge on her face. She threw her arms around me, practically squealing with joy.

In that moment, she reminded me of her youthful self. It even transported me to how she might have been, years ago, after knowing that she was carrying Nicholas, the boy who had grown up to be such a great person.

When she finally moved apart, she asked me with her eyes alight, "Does Nicholas know?"

I shook my head slowly. "I... I haven't told him."

Hours before the flight, I had gone through the pains to find a pregnancy test. Once I got it, I was undeniably nervous.

I never thought there would be a moment like this. It was so scary to wait for the result.

But I wanted it to be a resounding yes.

Two. There were two.

I have to tell Nick. I couldn't help but smile at the thought of him.

I knew I should have told him I was going to try the test the moment I suspected it. But I wanted it to be a surprise, and I was already pretty sure that I was pregnant. I had been late for seven weeks, and that has never happened.

It was going to be our birthday in two days. I knew it would be the perfect gift to him, as it was to me.

"I was kind of hoping you'd be the one to run the ultrasound, actually. I know it isn't exactly your expertise, but you're a doctor I'm really inspired by, and I'm sure you'll want to see the little one too. Do you think you can do that? And maybe even get a photo that I can give to Nick on his birthday?"