2. t h e f a l s e i d e n t i t y

As I was trapped in that embrace, my eyes met Cleo's. She was shaking her head so fast and with so much force that I wouldn't be surprised if it fell off then and there.

Every single inch of my being screamed at me to push him away. After all, I hated being touched. Plus, it was so embarrassing to encounter that in front of my potential colleagues, I guess.

Even more embarrassing was that Nicholas somehow had an effect on me.

I had hung on for too long now. If I pushed him away too late and said I wasn't Zara, everyone else is going to wonder why I leeched onto him. And I had a feeling Nicholas was going to get mad.

But I liked to think that the real reason why I stayed my hand was because I saw the pain in his eyes. It must feel lonely, scary, not to recognize anyone anymore. And imagine the heartbreak if he knew he was wrong about me too...

The vulnerability flashed by a second, exclusively for me — or at least for the Zara Abigail he thought I was.

Hell, I wasn't even French.

"You... you recognize me."

Then, confusion flashed by for a quick moment. I gulped. He must have realized the voice was different. I coughed quickly, signaling that I was sick or something. I had a voice deeper than most girls, I think.

"Nick, we have to go. We're already late to the press conference." Cleo stepped in, to the rescue.

"Wait, but I—"

"I'm not going anywhere. Go." I said gently.

His eyes lingered over mine for a moment. Then, he nodded slowly. "If you do go anywhere, I will find you. We need to talk."

We need to talk. I hated those words.

"S—sure."

Nicholas finally turned and left with his directors, but not without turning back just to double check it was me.

Well, that's the thing. It wasn't.

I saw Cleo say something to Nicholas and then he waved her off. She quickly scuttled to me as soon as the directors were out of earshot. I immediately fell out of character, too.

I leaned against the wall, heartbeat going at a million miles an hour. What the hell?

Cleo quickly tugged at my arm. "I need to talk to you."

I brushed her arm away quickly. "Woah, that's enough contact for the day." I scoffed. However, I agreed that we had to talk. I followed her past security clearance, to my dream tower.

Suddenly, the receptionists headed my way. Their jaws were to the floor, eyes wide open.

Hold up. You're Zara Abigail? The longest ex that Nicholas' had been with?" Carmen asked, her jaw dropped.

It disturbed me to think that exes were talked about so casually, as if Nicholas had a whole fleet of them.

Julia chimed in, "What was with the whole Emma Trinket thing, then?"

I exchanged glances with Cleo. Should I still keep up with the act?

"Needed to attract his attention." I responded vaguely. Let them think what they want.

I entered the elevator. Little did I know that this would change my life, forever.

***

"I would like to make you an offer." Cleo got straight to the point upstairs. I barely heard her, for I was too busy observing the interior of this place.