CHAPTER THIRTY THREE

It all seemed so surreal. My heart seemed to be pounding outside my chest, drumming my ears louder than the shouts of the people pursuing me. I was twisting through alleyways I did not recognize, tripping over cobblestones that did not react the same way to my pounding feet like the Briarwood Forest, trying to keep my long dress from tripping me.

We had split up near the bar, a sudden nod between the four of us made in a split decision. All Jonrick had to yell was “Castle” for us to know what he meant. Run for your lives. Meet at the Farsay Castle to complete the mission. The slow preparations, infilitration and hiding amongst our enemy was all over.

This was absolute chaos.

As I ran, hearing the voices of the angry men after me get closer, I had a sudden, insane thought. What would Reece think if she could see this right now?

She would probably hit me over the head and call me an absolute idiot.

I pumped my legs harder. She was right.

A few weeks ago, I was resting in my cot, staring up at the ceiling with a wish to be a Rider like most of the other children in the Sanctuary. Since then, I had kidnapped the crown prince of Farsay, revealed Saiyaran powers I didn’t understand and am currently on a failing infiltration of the FarsayKingdom.

“She’s a Forbidden! Get her! Catch her!”

The voices were coming closer, and my panicked mind was rambling. I wanted to be anywhere but here. My lungs were burning and my legs were aching and I had no idea where I was going. I could’ve been running straight into the army’s nest for all I knew.

“Psst! Over here!”

The whisper was just a whisper. It could’ve been from the King himself.

But desperation was also what it was. Desperation makes you do foolish things with no heed fo consequence. I ran for the voice, and slipped into a cracked open doorway.

The door shut behind me. I leaned against the wood to listen, breathing so heavily that my ragged inhales and exhales were echoing. The sound of running feet and cries of disgruntled townspeople came closer and closer….

And then further and further away

I slumped against the door, suddenly exhausted. Sweat was pouring down the sides of my face, pooling at my lower back. I closed my eyes, letting my body feel the tiredness that was flowing through me.

Then my eyes flew open.

A boy, not much older than I was holding a sword out, pointed directly at me. My fingers curled into fists, but a motion at his side caught me off guard.  A little girl who looked about Kat’s age was peering out at me, hiding behind the boy's legs in fear. The boy was trying to look brave, that was obvious, but his eyes were darting around as if he was afraid I was going to blow. 

My fists uncurled. He lowered his sword.

The silence stretched between us, awkwardly.

“Thank you,” I panted out, not knowing quite what else to say. These two had saved me, that was clear, despite the sword the boy still kept clutched in his hands. But I was slowly realizing that I had put myself in a dangerous situation. I had no idea who these two were. They could be working with the Forbidden Arrests and I had just walked into a trap.

Edward and Jonrick would absolutely kill me if they knew what I had done.

I lifted myself off the door, and looked around as inconspicuously as I could. The house was small and shabby, with not much furniture. I peeked into the corners, looking for anything out of place.