CHAPTER THREE

I reluctantly dropped the blonde man’s arm, ignoring him as he groaned in relief. I slowly turned to face the person whose knife was the main difference between me and death

My eyes widened. It was the man from the clearing. The one who had saved that wounded soldier.

He was not wearing the metal helmet the other soldiers had donned, which let me see his features clearly. His dark blue eyes were piercing, glaring at me through bangs of thick black hair. His sturdy frame and solid jaw were not enough to hide the fact that he was young - much younger than I had previously thought. It seemed as if he had been shot, as there was a cloth binding around his unprotected upper arm that was soaked in blood.

But what surprised me even more was the stunned look on his face when he saw my face. His jaw nearly dropped, the grip on his sword slackening.

Which is exactly when my training finally kicked in.

Grabbing his wrist, I twisted his arm, deftly seizing the knife from his now loosened palm. I was up faster than lightening and had the knife held to his neck, holding his right arm captive behind his back.

He landed a strong elbow in my stomach, and I nearly let go of the knife with a wheeze, seeing stars for a few moments. But I kept my desperate grip on the knife against his neck, pushing his captive arm higher up his back so much so that he let out a strangled sound of pain.

A sound at the edge of the clearing startled me. Another two men came charging through the clearing.

King’s Army soldiers.

Panicked, I yelled, “STOP! DO NOT COME ANY CLOSER!”

I should’ve known they were accompanied.

The men halted, but kept their swords pointed at me.  Examining the soldiers quickly, I noticed their weaponry was limited; not a single bow and arrow in sight. Foolish, I thought. They could’ve taken me down with an arrow, or even a flying dagger. The lumbering swords were no good for them, unless they were fine with taking down the man I now had captive in my arms. He was struggling hard, with a strength that I could feel would eventually overpower me.

Resolutely, I pierced the man’s flesh shallowly with the knife, trying not to wince as I did so.

He let out a strangled yelp and stopped struggling. Letting out a breath I didn’t know I was holding, I glared at the three men who surrounded me, wary expressions clear on their faces.

“Did you not hear me?” I said, in what I hoped was a dangerous voice.  My gaze was focused on the men, but I could feel Kat’s hand on my lower calf.

“What do you want, Forbidden?” One of the soldiers hissed. While the blonde man whose shoulder I had dislocated was much older, this one was young enough to be snarky. He had reddish brown hair and brown eyes that were narrowed at me. He was watching my every movement, judging if I would actually kill the man I held in my grip.

I wasn’t sure if I could either. But I had to make them believe I would.

“It seems you value this man’s life,” I spoke in a subdued voice, but loud enough that they could hear me. The men all bristled at my statement, and I made a mental note of this in my head. Yes, this man was important to them.

I had gotten lucky.

The three men glared at me for a little while longer, before slowly dropping their weapons in show of peace. I nodded, surveying them a little while longer.

There was nothing I could do. I had to keep him.

“Go back to the Kingdom.” I commanded with as much force and authority as I could muster.

“What?” the man in my arms sputtered. “What are you-“

 “Do not test me. Tell your men to go back to the Farsay Kingdom, and stay out of the Briarwood Forest or you will pay with his life.” I pressed the knife hard against the soldier’s neck and he let out a yelp of pain. “Do you not understand or do I have to prove to you that I mean every word I say?"

Silence met my overly confident words. I found myself praying inwardly that they would believe me and listen.

The red haired man gave a searching glance to the soldier in my arms. The soldier must have conveyed something with his expression because miraculously, the red haired man nodded curtly at me. He and the other fellow went forward to help the blonde man to his feet, and together, they walked out of the clearing.

I did not let out my breath until I heard their footsteps disappear. Would they come back? I did not know, but I did know they were without weapons. If they did come back, I’d be ready for them

It was then that the situation I was in hit me hard. Kat was still behind me, dirty and fearful. There was a man, an important man it seemed like, whom I had taken hostage.

And there was still Madame Widow….who would be absolutely furious with me.

really didn’t think this through.