CHAPTER FOURTEEN

“Madame-“ I begin to start to say but the woman held up a hand, silencing me

God damn it all, I thought desperately. I had assumed Madame Widow was not to be back for another few days. Yet here she was, in the same room as the Farsay, staring at the one mistake that I had been paying for this entire time she had been gone.

The Farsay was looking up at the woman with a hard look. He had seemed to deduce that this was a person of authority and was staring in trepidation at the woman, waiting for her next move.

It was a look of acceptance, a look you give someone when you understand your fate rested in their hands.

“Who are you?” Madame Widow rapped out, her voice sharp.

I could see the defiance in the Farsay’s jaw as he glared at the woman, silent in response. Bad move, I thought frantically. A shadow of a smirk flitted across Madame Widow’s features as she leaned down until she was eye level with the prisoner. It was then that the startled look on the Farsay’s face turn into realization.

Madame Widow was not a Saiyaran like the rest of us. No silver eyes, no ridged skin. She was a true Farsay. A traitor, as his kind would say.

“No matter,” Madame Widow breathed out. She reached out and caught the boy’s chin in her hand. He froze as Madame Widow tilted his head forcefully, observing his features.

“I know who you are.”

My eyes widened. The Farsay looked just as stunned as she felt, and wrenched his face away from her hold, still not saying a word.

“Does your father know you’re here, Farsay? A Saiyaran prisoner?” Madame Widow continued, a hint of dark amusement in her voice.

Fear crossed the Farsay’s features, and I felt something hard push against my chest. Who was this man?

He turned away from Madame Widow quickly, attempting to hide the expression on his face but it was too late. Madame Widow seemed to cackle as she straightened, staring down at the Farsay with a look of almost pity in her eyes.

“How the mighty have fallen, Crown Prince Rayden.”

With that, she whirled around and stormed out of the prisoner room without another look at me or the prisoner.

Crown Prince.

A roaring sound seemed to fill my ears and my head, and a distant sound of clattering made me realize I had dropped the plate and glass I had been carrying.

“Alaya-“

My feet carried me out of the room before I even knew what I was doing. I could hear the Farsay calling after me, my name sounding like a pure insult, but I kept running. Why would he say my name? How could he say my name?

The guilt was nearly eating me alive.

“Alaya!”

It was a different voice now, but I couldn’t stop running. There wasn’t anywhere to run anymore, the Sanctuary was so small, so closed up! My chest was constricting rapidly, and I could barely breathe.

I came to a stand still, as the voice calling me came closer, but I did not look to see who it was. I squeezed my eyes shut, breathing hard, feeling as if there was absolutely no oxygen in the air.

A touch on my arm shocked me out of my thoughts and I opened my eyes. Jonrick stared at me concerned.

“Are you okay?”

I suddenly felt tears well up at my eyes. No, no, no. I wasn’t going to cry.

The prisoner was the goddamned prince. Ray. Rayden. How stupidly clever he must’ve thought he was being.