Chapter 48

Anika and Shivaay are sleeping in each other's arms.Suddenly she starts stirring.Anika opens her eyes.She feels an acute pain is spreading inside her,slowly.
She grasps Shivaay tightly with both her hands and a pain-filled scream escapes from her mouth which makes Shivaay awake.Opening eyes he finds Anika is struggling to breath.Switching on the bed-side lights he says-

S:  Ani...Anika?What happened?

A:  I...I...am feeling....so much pain Shivaay.This is just unbearable.Our baby......plz,do something........She manages to tell somehow while fighting to breath.

Holding her closely Shivaay calls the driver from his phone to get the car.Then he picks up Anika in his arms and comes outside.Getting in the car he orders the driver to drive for the appointed maternity hospital.
Anika is writhing and twisting in pain in Shivaay's arms.He is trying to make her calm down but that is going in vain as pain is increasing with each passing second.
Anika says in deep agonized voice-

A:  Shi...Shivaay.....I am scared Shivaay.If...If something.....My....My baby is...is strong.Nothing will happen.....to him.

S: Nahi,kuch...kuch nahi hoga.You....and our baby,both will be fine Anika,trust me.I won't let anything happen.....She hides her face in his chest feeling the strong bout of pain.Shivaay tightens his grip on Anika to subside his fear.She closes her eyes feeling exhausted and drained out.

Hospital
________

Anika is being taken to OT immediately.There Shivaay stands outside,alone.Almost three hours later doctor comes out.She takes Shivaay in her chamber to talk about Anika's condition.With a pounding heart Shivaay sits in front of the doctor.She starts-

D:  Be strong Mr.Oberoi because what...

S:  Just tell me.I am ready.

D:  I am really sorry to inform you that Mrs.Oberoi...She has suffered a miscarriage.

S:  What?What are you saying doctor?Shivaay stands up shouting.

D:  Relax Mr.Oberoi.Calm down plz.......Shivaay's limp body collapses on the chair.

Miscarriages don't occur only because of reasons such as hormonal or physical problem.In the rare case of anembryonic pregnancy,it causes within the first trimester.During this time mother may not face any signs that her pregnancy is progressing abnormally.

S:  What exactly that means?Shivaay manages to utter somehow.

D:  An anembryonic pregnancy occurs when early embryo means baby stops developing.A high level of chromosome abnormalities is responsible for it at the time of fertilization.Body will not recognize that there is no baby in the follicle because the pregnancy hormones are still being produced.Sometimes it happens without showing any sign of pregnancy at the early stage.
As there is no development of baby in the womb,mother's body protests naturally and results in miscarriage.

S:  There....was no baby?Shivaay sounds utterly devastated.

D:  Mrs.Oberoi was six weeks' pregnant.We have not conducted any ultrasound yet as it applies from eight or ninth week.In the first ultrasound,we would have known that there is no baby in the case of anembryonic pregnancy.

S:  Is...Is it harmful or fatal for Anika doctor?

D:  Not at all.To recover from such pregnancy,some women wait for it to happen naturally while other take medication to trigger the miscarriage.Sometimes a procedure called Dilation and Curettage is used to remove the placental tissue.
Mrs.Oberoi has gone through the normal one.