Farewell, Monteriggioni...

A/N: This is a very impactful chapter to the story, so be warned.

Also, I followed Oliver Bowden's Assassin's Creed: Brotherhood for the attack of Monteriggioni, and let's just say that he did not take things lightly. So keep it in mind: decapitation towards the last paragraphs of the chapter. Also, swearing.

-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-

After Minerva left, we stood motionless for what felt like an eternity. What on Earth did she mean by that...? I'd find the answers I seek on my path to a place I once called home...Ugh, why couldn't she speak sense for once in her damned life?!

We looked around, confusedly, wondering what to do next. But clearly, there was nothing left inside the empty room, so, we began to walk back towards the entrance. Rodrigo had left in the meantime. He had probably escaped, for the only thing that proved of his presence was a piece of his clothing. I could see Ezio beginning to walk towards the Staff, but it started to recede towards the ground through a small opening. Like a safe mechanism, to keep the artifact safe. Suddenly, the ground beneath our feet began to shake, and I nearly fell as the platform we were standing on unexpectedly lowered itself. New walls appeared, covering the entrance to the Vault and giving us clean, glowing blue edges for us to grab on to. "We'll have to climb." I told Ezio, who seemed just as confused as I was.

"Better in the hands of the Earth, than in the hands of Man." I heard a familiar, deep voice echoing from the upper levels. I looked up to see the familiar face of Mario.

"Uncle?" Ezio called out. It was clear he hadn't expected to see him inside the Vatican either.

"What can I say? We sent a single couple against an entire army. I was worried!" he chuckled. "Quick, climb up! We have to get out of here!" with his order, we were swift to do as told. I followed Ezio as he seemed to be taking a particular path up the wall, instead of going straight up. But at last, in a matter of moments, we were out of that damned pit.

"You would not believe the things we have seen, zio (uncle)." Ezio began as we walked towards the older man.

"Then be sure to stay alive, that I might hear of them." he said firmly with a pat to his shoulder.

"I expect to hear opposition." Came my husband's reply, and I didn't even need to look at him to know that he was smiling.

"And I expect the Borgia to mourn the loss of many lives tonight." as he talked, we began running back the way we came, and before we knew it, we were back in the main chapel. The cardinals and monks that had once been subdued by the Staff were now on their feet, yelling insults at us.

"How bad is it out there?" I asked Mario as we pushed past the protesting monks.

"Bartolomeo and Antonio still keep the guards busy, but it is no longer enough. There are troops converging here." he shook his head. "We might have to fight our way out of here. No matter. Did Rodrigo manage to hurt you, Ezio?" he asked, turning his gaze to his nephew.

"Barely! My armor blunted his attack." he shook his head.