'I'd better go,' Penny sighed as she glanced at her watch. 'I'm meeting my roommate to go over a few "rules" she's decided she wants to enforce.'

'That sounds very annoying,' I laughed.

'She is,' Penny sighed. 'I wish you were my roomie.'

'I would love that,' I said with a grin.

'Only, you have your fancy apartment to go home to everyday,' Georgie remarked. 'No roomies invading your personal space and messing with your stuff.'

'Well, I beg to differ,' I giggled.

'At least you live with someone you don't mind seeing shirtless all the time,' Georgie said. 'I prayed all summer for a hot guy and turn up to find Norman the fucking super nerd.'

'Don't be mean!' Penny batted his arm.

'I'm not, I'm just saying,' he said, rolling his eyes. 'Is it so hard to get a little eye candy?'

'You get what you get; it's college,' I chuckled.

'It's Columbia,' Penny continued. 'It was more probable that you'd end up with a super nerd than anything else.'

'As long as he doesn't start tooting his horn when I'm in the room, we'll be cool,' Georgie said.

'Now that's disgusting,' I scoffed.

'Yeah, you're an animal,' Penny said as she scowled.

'Don't hate me 'cause you ain't me,' Georgie sang as he smirked and stood to his feet. 'Now, I have to get to class. Toodles.'

We waved him off and Penny and I stood to our feet and headed out of the coffee shop.

'Well, see you tomorrow,' I said to her as I smiled.

'Yeah, safe trip home.' Penny smiled back as we hugged.

I headed across campus until I reached the street of Amsterdam Avenue and headed for the subway.

Since I had grown up in New York, things such as using the subway still felt natural to me. I didn't fear travelling this way like most students who weren't from the city did. In fact, it was a nostalgic feeling to be travelling this way again.

Once it arrived, I took the short 20-minute journey to Inwood and stepped off the subway, strolling through the streets with a refreshed smile on my face as I took in the rush of it all. I had to admit, I had missed it a lot. Leiper Falls had become home to me but New York would always be where I felt most at home.

It only took around 5-minutes to get from the subway station to my apartment on Vermilyea Avenue. It was a large apartment building that could have done with a little TLC and wasn't the most prestigious of places to live but it had character and it was home.

I took the elevator up to the fourth floor and scurried down the hall to apartment 55, unlocking the door and heading inside.

It was a small but cosy studio apartment; open plan with a small lounge area that you stepped right into with light grey wood flooring and a small two-seated dark grey suede sofa in front of an integrated electric fire with the T.V mounted above it. The kitchen was on the opposite side of the room; a tiny beige space with a large window overlooking the neighbourhood.