16. You and Me (Babe)

I blinked my eyes open, feeling a sense of déjà by as this had not been the first time I had awoken like this at a hospital.

"George." I said immediately before turning my head to see him laying asleep beside me. I had startled him, causing his light echo of a snore to halt immediately, looking up to me before sighing with extreme relief.

"She's awake." A nurse who was on my other side checking my vitals smiled, pleased.

I brought my hands to my stomach terrified the pain had been what I feared most. It was too terrible to even begin to think about, and it would be all my fault.

"Before I say anything, Mrs. Harrison, your baby is safe," she began, causing a sense of relief beyond what I've ever felt to wash over my entire body, but confusion quickly arose. Then what the hell was it?

I felt George reach over and grip my hand tightly in his.

I looked over to him seeing he has already learned of the news and was practically spilling over with excitement to tell me.

"It was all just a false alarm," He stood with a joyous grin cupping my hands, a smile quickly pulled my lips upwards, I had never been so received as to hear those words.

"But, it was caused from the large amounts of stress you've been putting yourself through, Mrs. Harrison. The doctor has advised that you stay on bed rest for at least two weeks." The nurse smiled uneasily, seeing my face drop into gloom.  Although I was absolutely beyond grateful our baby was safe, there's almost nothing I detested more than a bed rest sentence, I always became a prisoner in my own mind having had the same sentence when I had my asthma attacks from what seems like centuries ago.

"Right." I took in a deep breath, knowing how important keeping this baby absolutely and completely safe.
__________________

"If I watch one more advert I might break down." I looked over to George who was sat beside me on the bed as he had come to check in on me and bring me a bowl of ice cream later on in the night after letting me get some rest.

He had set up the television in our bedroom to allow me to have some sort of entertainment, but it all began to get a little old already.

"After eight thin mints, in a grey world, I salute you." George mimicked the posh accent that had been replaying on the television during the commercial breaks.

I giggled. "Daft slogan if you ask me." I shook my head scooping up some of the ice cream into my mouth.

Once our laughter subsided, George looked down to his hands, then back up to me.

"I don't think I've ever been so scared as I had been yesterday. I thought-" George couldn't physically let the thought leave his lips.

"-me too." I stared off into space, mortified about how careless I'd been in thinking about the baby's health through all the stress.

"I'm so sorry." I reached out for George's hand.

"No, this is not one bit of your fault Pop," he spoke with a sternness as he sat up and faced me directly, moving a piece of hair behind my ear, "between Brian, and me being a prick, and the stupid Beatle project I thought would be okay to go on, Poppy, I promise you I won't be so thoughtless like that ever again." George took my hands in his and places kisses down on them.

"You're back on the road tomorrow." I gasped in realization.

"I'll postpone it, the lads will understand-" George brushed it away quickly.

"-no, I don't want you stop everything just because of me. I'll call over one of the girls, you go on and do this. Lord knows what will happen if you slow down now." I shook my head.

"B-" he began before I took my spoon full of ice cream and shoved past his lips to silence him. He rolled his eyes with an infectious grin knowing he wouldn't win the argument. He placed the spoon back into my bowl after swallowing down the ice cream and tickled my sides, placing a lustful kiss onto my lips.

"Supri-oh lord, no John, they're getting it on, abort." Paul's eyes widened in a whisper yell once catching a glimpse of George and I.

George and I had expected they they come in visit soon as they had called, but now was definitely not the time we'd originally anticipated.

"How did you even get in the house?" George asked in bewilderment.

John, who became visible in the doorway pursed his lips.

"Not important." Paul spoke as he walked in with an awkward laugh, bearing presents.

"What's all tha'?" I watched Paul with amusement as he sat down on the bed beside me.

"We're glad you're alive presents." John smiled with a wink.

"How poetic John, Shakespeare?" I quipped with a smile.

"It is the east, and a gift is the sun." John twisted a quote from Romeo and Juliet, a play which I was sure he was familiar with from years ago, even if it were a different version.

"I thought you played Thisbe." I smirked reminiscing on their television appearance.

We all shared a laugh as Paul handed me the present, which I unwrapped to see a bundle of clothing for a baby, some of which had the boys' faces on them.

"You're having me on." I laughed in delight as I showed George a onesie with their faces on it.

"I think you missed something." Paul hinted, causing my brow to furrow.

I dug around in the newspaper to reveal a framed photograph of Brian and I on tour with the boys. I had almost forgotten it had been taken at all, but I fought tears that suddenly found themselves prickling in my eyes.

"We thought it would be nice for the baby's nursery." John smiled, the mushy side of John Lennon appearing.

"It is," I almost choked on the words, "thank you." I smiled wiping my cheeks as I motioned for them to give me a hug.

They did so and for the first time in awhile I felt I was understood. John and Paul both knew how deeply scarring lose is, and I was beyond thankful for their support.

"Now let go of me before you make me tear up." John laughed.

"Right, sorry. " I let the two of them go, seeing Paul frown as he scanned the look on my face.

"That's alright love." Paul whispered holding my hand.

Silence took over the room for a moment.

"Look, I love this commercial." John smiled as his attention was turned to the television. I turned to George and laugh, seeing it was the After Eight commercial we'd just had a laugh about.

It was the glimmers of joy like these I treasured, because the troubles were yet still so far from over, and I hadn't any idea of what was yet to come.