14. Photograph

Ringo and I's entrance back into Liverpool was anything but discreet. Somehow the paparazzi and fans had gotten word and showed up at the airport, causing Ringo and I to have to run quickly to catch a car while both good and bad remarks were yelled to the both of us.

Ever since I'd gotten home to Brian and I's house, the phone had been ringing off the hook.

I had invited Ringo over since he was clearly drunk from the airplane ride and in no shape to be alone right now.

We both knew who was on the end of the other line, which is why we tried to ignore it and hope it would subside soon.

Ringo was curled up on the sofa, holding a pillow tightly across his chest as he stared at the fire place. I could tell he wasn't up for conversation, and quite frankly neither was I.

I had decided to reacquaint myself with a quick walk through of my childhood home, which looking back was also filled with many memories of the boys. I did my best to keep a strong front as I didn't want to upset Ringo further than he already had been, but it was hard with all the emotions coming flooding back to me all at once.

The phone hadn't rung for awhile when the two of us heard it again, this time Ringo getting up wordlessly to answer it in the next room in a haste.

I couldn't find the strength to protest, everything about being in Brian and I's home causing me to feel extremely somber on top of the already downcast situation. I was sat on the couch looking down at my hands, trying to process all my grief and betrayal.

It was mumbled because of the distance, but Ringo picked up with a sharp hello, not waiting long until he started giving who I assumed to be George a piece of his mind.

I started to regret leaving from London so quickly, but my heart ached at the thought of George kissing Mo, because not only had he kissed someone else, but it was Maureen, someone who I had loved and held closely to me, and it sickened me how easily they'd crossed that line while I was away.

The conversation went on for awhile before I found myself becoming overly curious, and slowly I drifted to the telephone in the living room, picking up and putting my hand to the speaker so I wouldn't be heard.

"-No, you really did it this time George, how is this going to be fixed? Poppy is shattered, not only has she lost Brian but she feels as if she's lost you too, and to kiss Maureen?" Ringo sounded extremely frustrated and my heart felt as if it were breaking.

"It was the biggest mistake I've ever made in my entire life Ritch, I don't know what happened, honestly. I feel absolutely terrible for hurting you and Poppy. Please, come back home. I can stay away from Maureen and you for however long it needs to be, but I need to see Poppy." George pleaded.

"She needs time George."

"How much time?" He sounded desperate.

"However long it takes."

_______________________

Later on the two of us had still barely said five words to one another, but it was a silence neither of us seemed to mind. The only thing filling the room with noise was the television show, distracting us from thinking too much.

The telephone had stopped completely after George and Ringo had talked and I was starting to grow anxious knowing he and Maureen were once again left alone. I hoped he had more sense than to further the damage, but as of late I wasn't sure of what he'd do.

"I think we should both get some rest love." Ringo had stood up from the couch and looked down to e with concern in his features.

Although Ringo hadn't been sober since we'd left London, his care and protection over me seemed to be a priority although he should've been more selfish considering he had been cheated on too.

There was another life to think about entirely now that I was pregnant, I knew for certain I would need to talk to George sooner rather than later, we were starting a bloody family.

"Right." I nodded with a large lump growing in my throat.

"We need to go back soon." Ringo slurred as we both started to the bedrooms upstairs.

"I know." I let out a small sigh although it hurt to think of going back.

As Ringo looked over to me his balance became weak, causing me to rush under his arm to keep him from falling down the stairs.

His blue eyes lingered on mine which sparkled dimly in the dark natural lighting pouring into the house. My breathing was slightly unsteady as my heart beat had quickened from the worry that Ringo would fall, but I could see in his eyes he seemed to have something he wanted to say.

"What if we got the two of them back?" Ringo smirked leaning and brushing his lips against mine teasingly. My breathing stopped as he tilted his head back and chuckled. I let out a sigh of relief, he wouldn't remember much of this in the morning.

"Why did they do that to us?" He pouted suddenly, his mood quick to change.

"I'm not sure Ritchie, sometimes people make dumb mistakes. Take John for example, with that artist." I sighed knowing I could confide anything to him in his current state.

"Artist?" His eyes were almost completely shut as I opened the door to the guest bedroom.

"Yoko Ono. An affair. At least they didn't have a full affair." I pursed my lips supporting almost all of Ringo's weight as he seemed to grow lazier with each step.

"Well, let's hope not, or I might just have to beat your husband's arse." Ringo flopped onto the bed curling up onto a ball.

"Can you stay until I fall asleep?" He asked as if he were a child, innocently looking up at me with large puppy dog eyes. With Ringo around I suppose I was bracing myself more for a child than I'd thought.

I hoped when I returned to London all would be sorted out and we could put this all behind us, or I was afraid I would be doing this alone.