CHAPTER SIXTY-FIVE

CHAPTER SIXTY-FIVE
In what felt like no time at all, a month passed by.

Alex had more or less gotten used to her new life, she'd returned to her family after only a week or so. Both of her parents thought her radiating appearance was due to the spa week their daughter had supposedly went on, and thought no more about it. In all honestly, Alex had never felt so uncomfortable in her own body before.

It was hard for her to move at a normal pace, since her body now wanted to move so much faster. When she had to help her father replace his car battery she had to pretend to struggle with its weight, while in reality she could've lifted it with just a finger. Her body felt like someone elses, and she didn't like it.

However, this whole transformation did come with some perks. Alex had always had below-average eyesight, so when she'd opened her eyes for the first time in her new body, she'd been shocked at the clarity of the world. The leaves on the trees, the petals of the flowers, the specks of gold in Emmetts eyes when he smiled. She couldn't help but to let her mind drift to what Jaspers' eyes would look like up close with her new improved vision, but she only held that thought for a moment. She surpressed the thought of his lips, his teeth, his hands, the scars on his body. She couldn't think about that.

She knew Jasper was around. She'd never actually seen him, but she'd almost felt his presence at times. At night when she closed her bedroom door to pretend to be asleep, she could hear a distant movement in the woods outback. She knew it was him, she didn't have to go and find him to confirm it. Truth is, Alex wasn't angry anymore. She'd been hurt at first, but she'd quickly gotten over her initial feelings when the tear in her chest made itself known.

Of course she was scared, but some part of her had somehow convinced her that there was nothing to be afraid of anymore. This was, after all, her destiny if she wanted Jasper in her life. And Alex couldn't imagine a life without him.

o

"Why does Dr. Pepper come in a bottle?"

Emmett looked at Alex with narrowed eyes, tapping a finger on his chin as he was thinking.

"Because his wife died," Edward exclaimed, making Alex throw her hands up in the air in frustration.

"Hey shithead, get out of my head and let the boy think!" Alex looked at Edward who was laughing at the both of them; Alex for getting frustrated and Emmett for still trying to understand the joke.

"Hey, I was just trying to help. I started to smell burning, I don't think he's used his brain since 85 at least."

"Ha, Alex you nasty thing!" Emmett exclaimed and reached out to highfive the girl as he finally caught on to the joke. Alex laugh filled the room and she met his highfive, entangling their fingers as their hands met.

"You're off the hook... this time," Alex narrowed her eyes at Edward who chuckled before heading up to his own room. Alex sat down on the couch next to Emmett, hands still entangled and head leaning on his shoulder. Alex had, over the previous weeks, grown very attached to her new family and especially Emmett. She sometimes felt like a cat who'd been abandoned and found shelter in someone elses arms. All she knew was that Emmett and the rest of the Cullens made her feel safe, and she really needed that.

"Take this one Alex, bet you can't figure this one out," Emmett suddenly said making Alex's head perk up. "What did the bison say to his son when he left for college?"

"Uhm... I don't know?" Alex said, not being able to contain her smile when she saw Emmett's childish and goofy grin.

"Buffalo!"