Queen Sized Bed

longer update today because this story hit 5k, oh my gosh thank you so much you guys im so happy!! here's a new chapter :)

•••

Darryl

"Zak!"

Darryl drops his sword and throws his arms around the boy now in front of him. Vincent is awkwardly pushed to the side, and Darryl hardly notices him. His heart felt like it was ten pounds lighter, and it almost made him want to pass out. All Darryl could focus on was Zak and how he was alive.

Rocco was trying his best to jump on Zak, but his tail was wagging so hard that he just kept twisting and falling back onto four legs.

Zak was holding onto Darryl tighter than Darryl had anticipated. "I'm so glad to see you," He whispered.

"What happened? I was so worried." Darryl pushes Zak's hair up from in front of his eyes, while resting his hand on Zak's cheek.

Zak's eyes dart towards Vincent, who was standing to Darryl's left quietly. "I got attacked."

"By who?"

"I... Uh—"

"—Are you okay?" Darryl's thumb trails along the side of Zak's face lightly, feeling over dried blood.

"Yeah, I'm okay, I think. I... didn't see who attacked me. They were probably trying to rob me or something."

"I'm glad you're alright." Darryl states, grabbing his sword off the ground in an instant and pointing it towards Vincent, making everyone jump in surprise. "Now talk, Vincent." Darryl demands in a newly threatening tone. "What did you do to him? Tell me, or I'll run you through right here." He took a few steps forward, backing Vincent into a tree.

Now that Zak is safe and behind me, I can finally question him. I thought I would be more angry when I saw Vincent again, but I can't seem to be mad now that I know Zak is okay.

Vincent immediately surrenders with his hands up. "Put the sword down, Darryl. I'm the one who saved your friend's life."

"I don't believe you!"

"Zak, tell him!"

Darryl and Vincent both turn to look at Zak.

"Um... Uh..."

"Well? Spit it out!" Vincent cries, shooting Zak a glare.

"I... He did save my life. In the woods, I stepped on a Creeper while trying to find my way back here. Vincent disarmed it before it could explode."

That... Sounds like something Vincent could do. Crap.

"See?" Vincent agrees, gesturing to the sword. "Now can you stop pointing that at me?"

"That doesn't explain why you were even near here in the first place." Darryl responds.

"I was looking for you!"

"So you could kill me?"

"No! Darryl, I wanted to explain my actions. I wanted to fix things between us."

"So you think following me is a good way to do that? You hunted us, Vincent." Darryl gestures to himself and Zak. "I appreciate you saving my friend's life, but there's no way we can fix things. Not after what you and your army did."

"But—"

"—Leave me alone." Darryl lowers his sword. "Go."

"You're doing it again." Vincent mumbles, barely audible enough for Darryl and Zak to hear. "You're throwing me out."