Message Recieved

Darryl

The Skeletons, it has to be them. Why would they threaten me? I never missed a scheduled supply drop. And how would they know I'm here?

Zak pulled the arrow out of the wooden plank, nearly falling backwards as it came out. It was real alright, the tip metal and the point sharp. If aimed correctly, it could definitely pierce a human skull.

"Darryl, does this mean there's other people out there?" Zak questions, twirling the arrow between his fingers. He was visibly sweating, and the arrow was shaky.

Darryl takes it so Zak doesn't end up losing a finger. "I think this means we have to find somewhere else to live. I wouldn't want to run into anyone with a crossbow."

"You seem really calm about this. Should I be calm? Is this a big deal?" Judging by the tone of his voice, Zak was the opposite of calm.

"Zak, it's not a big deal. Whoever fired it clearly wasn't trying to hit us."

Maybe.

"Okay. Okay, yeah. You're probably right. But why fire it in the first place then?"

"Um—"

"—I mean, maybe they have a lot of arrows? Are arrows that easy to make? If I shot a zombie with an arrow I don't think I'd want it back—"

Darryl's watch beeped, interrupting Zak's panicked thought processing.

What? They never schedule the drops this close together. I was just there a few hours ago!

"That doesn't mean you have to leave, does it?"

Darryl doesn't mean to stutter. "I—"

"Someone just shot at us with a crossbow and you're seriously ditching me?"

"No, Zak, it's not like that. I don't want to leave, I- I just, I have to—"

"—You have to take care of something?" Sadness could be picked up in Zak's voice.

This feels wrong. I should tell him. I should explain everything. I can't leave Zak like Vincent left me, he doesn't deserve that.

"Yes." Darryl handed Zak the arrow. "But when I get back, I'll explain everything. I promise. Don't leave the house until then, whoever's out there is probably still armed."

Zak shrugs. "I have nowhere else to go."

Darryl was satisfied with that answer, so he left, exiting through the back door in case someone were to fire at him.

•••

Zak

Stay in the house, Zak. Don't go outside, Zak. Someone just tried to kill us but I'm going to leave you here all alone, Zak. Muffin!

Zak was heated. Not from the fever, but from the fact that he was sick of Darryl running off to go kill monsters, or wherever he had to go.

I can't believe there's other humans out there besides us. A week ago I thought I was the only one. Now everything is so... Different. I just wish I knew more about Darryl. I feel like I can tell him anything, yet I don't know him at all. He probably hasn't gone far, I bet I could follow him.

Zak glances towards the door.

No, that would be wrong. He told me he would tell me everything when he gets back. And I don't think he would lie, right?

"Screw it." Zak grabbed his backpack filled with food and headed out. He knows Darryl doesn't want to be followed, but that just made him want to find him more.

Keeping his head low in case of any crossbow shooters, Zak starts in the direction Darryl walked away in. It doesn't take long to catch up to the monster hunter, even though he was walking relatively fast. Zak stayed a safe distance behind, occasionally ducking behind buildings if Darryl looked around. They made their way past the Target, and deeper into the center of the city, where Zak usually tried his best to avoid.

The epicenter was one of the most infested zones in the city, zombie wise. Since all of the skyscrapers around cast large shadows, a lot of the mobs are able to walk around freely, even during the daytime. Zak has only been a few times, towards the start of the apocalypse, when he was trying to connect with other humans. Of course, that never worked out, so now the place just gives Zak the creeps.

I wonder what Darryl has to do here.

Zak felt uncomfortable being so far away from the little red house. The area was unfamiliar, mostly covered in vegetation and moss from the lack of upkeep. Some people might even argue that in a way, it was beautiful.

He watches as Darryl climbs his way into a low window on one of the buildings.

How could he possibly know if a monster's in there? This isn't right.

Instead of following Darryl inside and risking getting spotted, Zak decides to camp out next to a building nearby, far enough away from some zombies who might try to attack him. When Darryl comes out, he can confront him then. Of course, Zak has no idea how long it'll take Darryl to finish whatever he's doing, but he decides it's worth the wait.

•••

Vincent

Vincent didn't think Zak was very good at being sneaky. His spies spotted Zak miles away from the Skeleton base, quickly alerting Vincent of a possible exposure. They were all worried, but Vincent told them to ignore it- it was all a part of his plan, more or less.

From his window on the top floor, he could see the teen sitting against one of the buildings in the epicenter, playing with what looks like a little rock.

He looks bored. Maybe I should invite him in?

Vincent chuckles at his own joke.

No, I can't do that. He chose to follow Darryl himself, so he can wait. I mean, I could make things interesting and lure a few zombies near... But I don't want him to die! I can't kick Darryl out of the Skeletons if he doesn't do anything to break the rules.

The leader of the Skeletons jumps a little when his door was abruptly opened.

"Sorry, the door got stuck for a second." Darryl explained, stepping inside.

Thank goodness I'm wearing a mask. Where are my messengers?

As if on cue, a short and skinny messenger stumbled in the room, apologizing profusely for not being there already.

Darryl cleared his throat. "There was no one to accept your delivery, so I figured I'd just bring it in myself."

The messenger walks forward and grabs a bag Darryl had been holding out. "Thank you. Next time, please wait outside for a messenger if one is not present." He goes to shoo Darryl out.

"Wait, A6D? Can I just ask why I had two drops scheduled so close together?" Darryl towered over the small messenger, so it wasn't hard to keep himself in the room.

Oh, I've never wanted to talk so badly.

"It was just pure coincidence. So sorry. You can go now, thank you." The messenger's voice was high-pitched and panicked, probably from the amount of questions directed towards Vincent. But Vincent was waiting for one more.

Is he going to bring up the arrow I shot?

He doesn't say a word as Darryl eyed him suspiciously.

He's thinking about it.

The messenger kept turning his head between the two, mumbling something about tension. Vincent felt it too.

After what seemed like an eternity of silence, Darryl spoke, his words crisp and clear. "Message received."