A Little Pocketknife

uh... hi! i'm very new to the skeppy/bbh fandom so hello if anyone is reading this! i started watching skep around late june 2019, and bbh maybe a few days after? idk lol.

welcome to my skephalo story!! i really hope you guys enjoy it. it's really inspired by "I Hate The Rain" by disinclined on wattpad, everyone should go check that out bc it's amazing.

anyways, i wrote a few chapters of this already so if u read this and u like it pls comment so i know to update thanks <3

•••

Zak

Zak rolled over in his sleeping bag, opening his eyes slowly. It was still dark out, which meant he had only slept for a couple of hours. Sitting up, he felt how heavy his head felt.

Am I getting sick?

Zak hasn't gotten sick since before the apocalypse started. He wasn't prepared to be sick, either. He had no medicine, no food, and no water.

He was way overdue on a trip to the store.

Slowly lacing up his sneakers, Zak glanced out the boarded-up window to his left. He couldn't see much in the street below, except for a few zombies wandering around in their bright blue shirts. Zak was thankful for those.

See, the process of turning into a zombie was slow and painful. The infected were given neon blue shirts to separate themselves from the healthy. But no cure was ever found, and soon, everyone was wearing that bright blue color.

It had been just over a year since the monsters first started showing up. A chemical plant had exploded, poisoning everyone in a fifty mile radius. They were the first infected. After that, if you were bitten, then you would be infected too.

It's not all bad, though. The zombies can only come out at night, because their skin is so rotten and sensitive towards the sun.

While Zak has zombies to worry about, there's also little explosive devices called Creepers placed underground all over the city. Their original purpose was to kill any zombies that walked over them, but now they're just abandoned bombs that Zak is absolutely terrified of stepping on.

So that's why he hasn't been to the store in almost two weeks.

I have to wait until sunrise. Maybe I'm not even sick, maybe I'm just tired.

Zak kept his shoes on and shoved himself all the way back into his sleeping bag, squeezing his eyes shut. He imagined his parents standing over him, tucking him in like when he was running a fever as a little kid. He imagined his sister in the room next to him, talking to some boy on the phone.

I wish I could see them again.

Just as he felt himself drifting off, a loud creak on the level below him caused Zak's eyes to snap open.

Did I forget to lock the door?

He grabbed his pocketknife from underneath the backpack he was using as a pillow and covered up to his nose with his sleeping bag. If a zombie had gotten in, the best thing Zak could do is stay calm, and quiet. They're not very good at using stairs.

The sound of heavy footsteps seemed to be getting louder and louder until they were right outside the room Zak was in.

Then, Zak heard an extremely loud hissing sound.

He slowly got out of his sleeping bag, and backed up against the wall across from the door. He held his knife outwards with two hands, trying to ignore the shaking in his muscles and the blood pounding in his ears.

The door was smashed open at one point, and a giant black creature was knocked off the ceiling by...

Another human?

Zak couldn't move. There was a man fighting the black creature that resembled a giant spider across the room. His head was spinning. The pocketknife fell out of his grasp, causing a small clanging sound. The spider heard, and turned around to see where it came from.

The man used this to his advantage, taking the spider's head off with one swift slice with a sword. It squirmed for a second, before falling limp. Dead.

"W-what was that?" Zak spit out, as the man slid his sword into a carrier on his leg. He was surprised by how hoarse his own voice was. It's been a long time since he talked.

"Have you never seen a spider before?" The man's voice was higher than Zak thought it would be, and sounded somewhat friendly.

"Well, yeah! But never that big!"

"They're everywhere, started showing up sometime last week. I guess the chemical plant poison had a different effect on spiders than it did on us."

Suddenly, I'm glad I didn't leave the house in the last two weeks.

Zak admired the dead body of the giant spider for a second before shaking his head. "Who are you? And why did you help me?"

The man shrugged. "I don't know you, I just like to kill monsters. I tracked down this guy," he gestured to the spider, "all the way from Chicago."

"I didn't even know there were other humans alive. This is crazy. It's really nice to see— It's really nice to meet you. I'm Zak."

"It's nice to meet you too, Zak. Sorry for breaking your door."

Zak hadn't noticed the broken door hanging from the frame. "It's fine. This isn't my house anyways. I've just been crashing here for a couple of weeks."

"Okay, well stay safe tonight, Zak," The man walked towards the exit, "Oh, and I would suggest getting something a little bit bigger or sharper than a pocketknife. The monsters are only getting stronger out there."

"I've... uh, never had to actually kill one before."

"That's good. Avoiding confrontation is the best way to win a fight." He checked his watch. "Look, I really gotta run. Maybe I'll see you around?"

"Wait!" Zak called out, "I don't even know your name!"

The man turned around and smiled softly, his hand still pressed against the broken door frame.

"My name? It's Darryl."

And then he was gone. Zak heard his footsteps quickly fade, and when he looked out the window, he saw the sun coming up.

I wonder where he had to go. I wish he would have stayed.

Zak rolled up his sleeping bag and shoved it into his backpack, along with his small, and apparently useless pocketknife. He didn't have anything else to pack up. Usually there would be a few cans of food and a water bottle, but obviously there's not now.

Today, I should find a new place to stay. Preferably one without a broken door. Thanks Darryl.