Chapter 2

Amethyst's P.O.V

I've never been more scared in my entire existence. My Stee-man's bleeding out faster than a leaky faucet and there's nothing I can do to stop it. I mean, yeah, Garnet tried to cauterize the wound with fire, but temporary fixes only work for so long. That's why we have to get him to a hospital, pronto-like.

Pearl, Garnet, and I run faster than I think any of have ever ran before. Garnet holds Steven closely in her arms, his face contorted in excessive pain that makes me want to just be shattered. I hate seeing him like this but I know that I have to pull it together. Because, in the end, that might be the only way he gets through this.

I can't believe that this happened and that it had to be Steven out of us all. I know for a fact that Lapis, Peridot, Pearl, Garnet, me, or even Bismuth would've gladly taken his place in that situation if it meant that he'd come out unharmed. I can only do what little I can at this point though and that involves whispering soothing things to my Sugar Cake while the three of us are running as fast as we could towards the nearest hospital which luckily isn't as far away as I thought it'd be.

Connie wasn't too far behind us on Lion's back. She happened to appear when we did. It looked like she was honestly gonna puke her guts out when she saw Steven with no arm, bleeding more than we've ever seen in a human. We approach the front doors of the hospital, rushing inside. The nurses take notice.

"Get him to the ER immediately!" Dr. Maheswaran shouted at the nurses as they all quickly took action.

Garnet placed him on the cot as his eyes were drooping. Tears were reaching the front of my eyes, but I couldn't let them go. I had to be strong for Steven, my big brother, my best friend. Steven is rushed through the doors as we're all left to wait.

"Steven!" Lapis, Peridot and Bismuth bursted through the front doors, looking around for him.

"Over here," I gesture for them to come over with my hand.

Lapis looks around in panic, "W-where's Steven?"

Pearl wipes her eyes, sniffling. "He's in the emergency room. His arm was completely blown off from the explosion of the injector. There was so much blood.. He could hardly keep his eyes open..." I wrap my arms around her as she breaks down in my hold.

Bismuth growled, clenching her fist. "Spinel will pay for this... Where is that uppercrust?!"

"Right here" A tired and sorrow-filled voice replies, causing us all to turn around and find Spinel standing a reasonable distance away. In comparison to all of us, she looks over, tears staining her face and he chest heaving up and down with heavy sobs. Even though I'm angry at her for letting this happen to Steven, I can empathize with her at this very minute. She's very clearly distressed and guilt-ridden, which makes me think that she's not as evil as me and the others made her out to be.

"WHY YOU LITTLE...!" Bismuth shouts, her hands molding into axeheads as she moves to charge Spinel. Fortunately though, Lapis and Peridot hold her back.

"Stop, Bismuth," Lapis grunts, yanking back on the builder gem's thick arm. "I know that you have every right to attack her and be angry with her, but think about Steven!".

"Lapis is right," Peridot chimes in "Steven wouldn't want us to resort to violence in such a matter as this. Besides, if you shatter her, then you're no better than the Diamonds!".

The mention of the dictator trio of Homeworld cools the room temperature down by five degrees. Shattering was indeed something the Diamonds did in the past, especially to gems that disobeyed and were difficult to deal with, but they've changed now. Steven told me as much. But, I can't imagine what they'd do if they were to come here now and find out what happened. Forget Bismuth trying to shatter Spinel, the Diamonds will do it quicker than an eye blink.