20°

Jen's POV

   I folded my arms, watching the water from the pool as it drained. Tristan's friend was somewhere probably trying cater to me. He brought me treats, offered me a place to sleep(his room), change of clothes it was ridiculous and childish.
"Why do you look so tense?" I looked up from the pool and finally saw Tristan. I didn't hear or see him coming.
"Nothing", I answered avoiding looking at his face. I watched behind him, a flickering light catching my attention.
"I think I saw you at the funeral", he continued and I sighed, leaning back in the chair. "Why did you leave?"
  I scratched my hair then brushed it back, looking at Tristan. "I was in the area so I just stopped by", I lied with an ice cold glare. He nodded and sighed. The truth was I was following Tristan to make sure that he was ok because sending a hit after him wasn't easy. I wanted to wipe him out so that I could finish what I came to do but the stupid boy made it so hard. Right after we arrived at his friends I called off the hit. I still felt like a venomous bitch though.

At least, I didn't let it get too far.

"How did he die?" Tristan asked me and I shrugged. He scoffed at me and I knitted my brows together from confusion. "Yea right."
  I ignored his comment and perked up in my seat, staring at the house sure that I heard a gun cocking. My sole objective tonight was to protect Tristan and I'd die before I let something happen to him.
"Did you hear that?" I asked getting to my feet. I grabbed my duffel bag and opened it, throwing my jacket into it.
"Hear what? Jennifer I know you're hiding something from me", Tristan said while I focused on the footsteps approaching us. I breathed and ran to the edge searching for an escape backup plan.
"What are you doing?" Tristan asked. Thoughts quickly went through my head and I tuned everything out. Shit, I just have to risk it. I reached into the duffel bag and got out 4 black metallic parts, putting them together to form an AK. "What the fu–"
  I wrapped my hand around his mouth and silently said, "Follow me." We hid in a dark corner behind the arrays of chairs and watched as dark silhouettes moved around and I saw the tip of a M-16. As the shadow passed beneath the light, I saw that this was in fact not the man I'd hired.

"Who is that?" Tristan asked in my ear. I shrugged, crawling away to a better view. I aimed at the assailant a minute from firing when a strong hand pulled me up from behind. I struggled as the weapon was grabbed out of my hand.
"Come out Tristan. And don't make me come look for you", spoke his friend. I continued struggling and kicking the air. When Tristan came out from his spot at gunpoint I stopped, anger ripping at my body watching him get shoved into the light.
"I thought you were my brother Sam", Tristan spoke as two men grabbed hold of his arms when he tried to go for Sam.
"How can I be your boy when you betray me and fuck with this bitch?" He asked approaching me. He grabbed hold my face and I stared deep into his gorgeous eyes until I got who he was.
"Don't–don't call her a bitch", Tristan shouted trying to get at Sam as I tried to analyze his face. He looked a lot like one of my assailants.
"You killed my father", Sam spoke and I chuckled. With a remnant of a smile, I said "He was in the way."
That seemed to fume him because he slapped me. My head flew to one side, the sting of the slap angering me more. How would we get away from this situation now?
"What?" Tristan asked and Sam and I both looked at him.
"Oh you didn't know who she was? She probably killed your father too", he spoke with disgust. My head remained to the side, my eyes falling on the handgun in his holster around his waist. Ok and exit plans? My eyes averted to the elevator. Good enough.

"...such a dumb ass", Sam was finishing up his speech. I looked at Tristan letting my eyes explain to him that we were both going to die tonight unless he listened to me. He nodded and licked his lips casually. This was no time to be sexy sir.
  I waited for the perfect time and that perfect time was when Sam stood in front of me. I kicked him hard in his chest sending him back and used the impact to boost myself free from the unbreakable grasp. I grabbed the gun in his holster and shot him in his neck, damaging the right vein but not killing him yet. I got behind the bar and waited, hoping that Tristan used that time to get away.
"Useless and pathetic", Sam spoke clapping slowly. I silently inhaled deep breaths, wincing as the glass above me shattered. "But I still have Tristan." My eyes widened and I knew what came next. "So just slide the gun over and come out with your hands up or he gets it."
  Seconds ran. I thought about what to do.