The night begins

Chapter One - Oliver

5pm? Damn it. I need to get a move on if I want to make it to the party tonight. I've only just walked out of my lecture and it'll take me half hour to get home, plus I'll need to eat and get ready and make it all the way back across town by 7pm. Mission impossible. I'm usually not too bothered about being on time but it's Izzy's 19th and if there's no one there at the start, she'll feel like a right loser - or so she says.

Guilting me was a great idea on her behalf. We met at the start of freshers week, made out for an hour or so and then realised we had loads in common. Over the next couple of weeks we found ourselves doing less of the making out and more of the lounging around in our comfiest clothes, playing video games and eating pizza. It didn't take us much longer to realise that we made awesome best friends but sucky partners. And from best friendship comes blackmail and guilt because we know we can get away with it, hence why I can't let her down tonight.

Of course we both have a ton of other friends but Izzy seems to be for life, and I know she feels the same. Don't get me wrong, I love all the other friends I've made over the past 3 months - but I'd like to see them stick around when I'm puking my guts up after having a bit too much to drink, or comforting me after some sad news. Izzy has proven herself in those cases but I can't say anyone else has.

So now I find myself running for the bus, powering through the stitch that's been building up on my side. That makes me sound pathetic and weedy, even though that couldn't be further from the truth. I just suck at running. I'm a cyclist by nature, and I train with weights on a regular basis so you can say that I have a rather toned body.

Back to the burning stitch which is about to floor me - I need to stop and collect myself. Yes I'm very fit and healthy but running is just not something I do and my body obviously isn't used to it. It doesn't help that I'm tall either - arms and legs flailing around everywhere as I try not to bump in to anyone. I would have been cycling under normal circumstances but I had to drag my stereo over to Izzy's this morning on the bus, bicycle left home alone. Never again. This party better be worth it!

Stitch subsiding, I started to run again. The station is only round the corner but I know there's a bus in exactly 1 minute and the next one isn't for another 25. With the station in sight, and the bus pulling in, I power through the final stretch and... WHACK!

-----

Chapter 1 - Jack

WHACK!

Whoops, I had just gone and ridden in to someone. I thought I could hear someone shouting my name so I quickly turned my head, but that just so happened to be the moment that some idiot ran directly infront of me. Now I'm on the ground, tangled up with my bicycle and another body.

'Oooooow!' The man underneath me groaned, then started to get up. I was sort of half across him, as was a wheel of my bike, but this didn't seem to phase him. He may as well have just been getting out of a bed for all the effort he needed. 'Watch where the hell you're going next time!' he shouted and he ran straight onto a bus and was gone.

I was still a little dumb-struck and just lay there for a moment longer. What in the hell had just happened? He must have really needed to get on that bus because most people would be giving me a stern bollocking by now if I'd have done that to them. Although it was only half my fault, I'm sure he was focusing elsewhere instead of the incoming bike. It was a cycle lane afterall.

Untangling my leg, I stood up and nearly fell back down again. Damn, it feels like a sprain. At least my bike is ok - so easy to bend the frame or a wheel when something like this happens. A sprain I can deal with, but forking out a few hundred pounds for a new frame, I cannot. Hobbling down, I grabbed the bike and swung myself back on the saddle.

There's nothing I love more than getting on my bike and seeing where it can take me. I'm not the strongest of men, and I hate the gym, so cycling is perfect to keep myself fit. I also enjoy a bit of running but thats just not ideal over the winter, which is what it is now. At least my bikes easy on the ankle, perhaps not a sprain after all. 

'Jack!' So someone was calling my name. I thought I had imagined it. 'Jack! You ok man? Looked like a bad one.' I turned to see my housemate Peter.

'It's all good mate, think I may have hurt my ankle though, nothing a good stiff drink wont fix. Fancy the pub later?'

'I would but I'm off to a classmates party tonight, and between you and me, I'd like to hit that.' Peter winked. 'She said the more the merrier so why dont you join me?'

'Yeh, why not? There will be plenty to drink at the party, and I'm going to need at least a bottle of whisky to numb this ankle. What time are you heading over?'

'I dunno, she said it starts at 7 but all the cool ones show up later. 9ish sound good?'

'Cool. I'll go grab a bottle of something so I guess I'll meet you back at the house'. 

Peter waved me off and I headed over to the shop. A party sounds just like what I need right now. There are always tons of chicks at girls parties and it's been a while since I pulled. Lets hope my 'medicine' works on this ankle.