Chapter Thirty

"Turn around," Red said, who was sitting on my bed, with her feet crossed. I did a little twirl, so Red could scrutinize the outfit. I was wearing black yoga pants and a cute gray top that hangs from one shoulder.

"I can see the outline of ya undies, don't ya have a thong?" she asked, her red hair draping perfectly to the sides, making me jealous. I groaned, noticing them as well. I don't usually wear thongs, because they aggravate the hell out of me.

"Why don't I just wear a pair of jeans?" I said instead.

"No, no, sweetie," she stood up, grabbing me from my shoulders, and pushing me towards my mirror. "Ya see that girl? She's looking gorgeous. She doesn't look like them whores from the club."

I studied my reflection, the yoga pants hugging my legs decisively. The top making me look cute. I wasn't body showing or anything. Well, besides my shoulder, but who checks out peoples shoulders and be like "damn, that's a sexy shoulder". Nevertheless, I looked nice.

"That is not cute, though," she pointed at my visible lines of my underwear. I pouted, dreading to have to wear the most uncomfortable undergarment ever. After I hastily changed into one of my thongs, I let Red come back into my room.

"What are you planning to wear?" I questioned her.

"What I'm wearing now," she said, her eyes focused on her nails. She was wearing ripped jeans and a plain pink tank, with cute brown boots.

"You're definitely not wearing that to the carnival," I told her, shuffling to my closet. I scanned through it, searching for something cute.

I found a black, lace, floral leggings and then I had a brilliant idea.

I shoved an outfit in her hands.

"You need to go home, John is going to pick me up in a few minutes," I told her anxiously. She glanced at the clock, nodding.

"I'll see ya at the carnival! And thanks for the clothes," she called out, hastening out of my room.

I took a deep breath, deciding to apply a pink blush to my cheeks and add a little mascara. After I felt confident in myself, I grabbed my phone and took a picture of myself and sent it to Madison. She had been bugging me all week about what I was going to wear. She wasn't so surprised that John had asked me on a date. She told me, she knew it was going to happen eventually.

I never thought this would ever happen. John with me just seems to be out of my box.

Ashley Hart, the city girl, on a date with John Hudson, the cowboy. It's just crazy!

My phone suddenly buzzed in my hand, startling me. I hesitantly glanced at the caller id before answering.

"Hello?" I said, glaring at the mess in my room.

"Ashley! I like the outfit, but make sure you don't wear a sweater!" she babbled.

"Why not?" I said bewildered. The past few evenings I could feel the cool breeze starting to kick in from the east side. It's cool enough to wear a light sweater.

"Let's just say that you're testing John," she replied carefully. Oh. Ooohhh, I see.

"Okay," I told her once it clicked in my mind.

"Oh my God, I'm so happy for you! I'm glad you're moving on," she said cheerfully. I smiled. "I wish I was there."

"Thanks, Madi, for caring."

"Yeah, yeah, you know me. Well, I have to go, but you better tell me everything that happens!" she said.

"I will."