14 | A Single Touch

Start from the beginning

Pearl grinned widely, turning her head away slightly to hide it.

There it is.

I found myself smiling back, half at her own and half at how bad my flirting was.

She rubbed her wrist a few times before looking up at me.

"Having trouble with your English assignment?" Her question sounded genuine.

"Is that why you think I wanted to meet up with you?" I dipped my head downward, closer to her.

"I don't know," She shrugged, moving a chunk of her hair from her shoulder. "I was just assuming."

"You assumed wrong," I spoke with a gentle tone.

I missed speaking like that; gentle and soft.

"Enlighten me, then," Pearl's head lifted slightly, closer to mine. 

"Are you sure you want to know?" She most likely thought I was joking around with her, but I knew that my answer would change the peaceful mood lifting around us.

"Yes, Zion. It was an effort to lie to my brothers about where I was going, and more of an effort to actually leave the house for you." Pearl teased, her smile brightening.

I raised my eyebrows, placing a hand to my chest.

"I'm so sorry. I would've held a gun to your head, but seeing that you're here now, I guess I didn't have to," I returned the tone, faking empathy.

She rolled her lips into her mouth, trying to not laugh.

It failed dramatically.

"Damn, I wasn't expecting that," She shook her head, facing the scenery in front of us.

It wasn't much. Just a few flower beds, grass and streetlights that lit up the pathway.

"Wasn't expecting what?" I asked curiously, keeping my eyes on the side of her face.

I liked that she didn't use her hair to cover it. In fact, she held her face up with confidence.

Pearl's eyelashes almost touched her eyebrows as she blinked and glanced up. Her cheekbones were soft, but could still be pointed out with the soft dent underneath them.

The soft jaw that moved softly became more prominent when she tilted her head to the side. She was talking, and I didn't even register what she said because, this time, I was actually checking her out.

My gaze dragged over to the small dip of her nose and a little bump, similar to mine, in the middle. Her ethnic features were beautiful, reminding me of my own.

She turned, her eyes snapping up to mine. I widened them.

"What?" I murmured, completely missing what she'd said.

"I wasn't expecting you to be cracking jokes this early into the relationship," She brought her head closer to mine, and it was like she drained all the confidence out of me.

My lips parted in surprise, and I had no doubt she noticed how my breath stopped.

She just smiled, her eyes lingering on my nose, then down to my lips.

"That was a joke, Zion," Pearl spoke breathlessly, and I didn't even bother doing the same because I knew I'd be a stuttering mess.

She pulled back, laughing to herself.

"Sorry," Her laughter died down quick. "I shouldn't have done that. It was stupid."

Pearl returned to how she was seated before; further away from me.