13 | Should Have Stayed Away

Start from the beginning

I smiled lightly, the accent bringing me comfort. It was the only familiar thing I wanted to remember that night.

"Pearl," A pressure on my shoulder made me recoil in annoyance. "Wake up, dumbass. Do you want to be late again?"

Nevaeh's voice scolded me.

I buried my head further into the pillows.

She pulled it out from underneath my head, and I whined quietly.

How could she have this much strength if she's injured?

"I'm not going to school today," I dragged the covers over my head.

"Since, uh, when?"

"Shut up, Chris Hemsworth," I grumbled, turning my face away from her.

"Please," She groaned, her body plummeting onto my bed.

I felt her weight on me, and had the sudden urge to knock her out.

"I'm staying with Levi and Lorenzo today," I muttered, grabbing the pillow back and putting it underneath my head.

I cuddled it with my arms and felt my eyelids go heavy again.

"I'm staying with you then," She stated proudly. "I have nothing to look forward to at school today anyway."

Pause. I rolled my eyes.

"What happened to Cyrus?" I asked curiously.

"Nothing," She said blankly.

"What did he do?" I asked in the same tone.

"Nothing,"

"So why are you speaking like you want to murder him the next time you see him?" I lifted my head and saw that she was laying beside me.

She stared at the ceiling, laying on her back with her hands behind her head. Her ankle was bandaged and she kept it positioned safely in front of her.

"I don't know. Something is off about him. He was acting weird yesterday,"  She observed, trying to hide the hurt in her face.

"Did he do anything?" I rested the side of my head on my pillow, my arms hugging it.

Nevaeh went silent.

"Well, since I have no physical abilities that help me fight, I will torture him psychologically. You can get Lorenzo to beat him up, and Elijah." I paused. "Levi can't do anything, so don't mention it to him."

I waited for her to laugh. She only smiled, and I took that over nothing any day.

"Did you know Xyla's been in the hospital since the last time we saw her?" Her abrupt question made me go still.

The mention of Zion's sister reminded me that Zion had been waiting for me to let him know if I was free on Friday.

"It's Friday," I sat up in my bed and reached for my phone on the bedside table.