Before I could even type a text to Edvany, a ring erupted from my phone, and the caller ID of Teagan popped up on my screen.

"Tea, hey, is everything alright?" I held the phone to my ears as concern etched into my mind.

"Pearl, I have an important question," Teagan's voice rushed out. "By any chance, have you seen a girl named Xyla? She's sixteen, curly black hair, black eyes? Around Nevaeh's height?"

I paused and matched the description with Nevaeh's friend outside.

"I guess so, yeah, she's at my place. Who is she? Should I be worried?" But before I could continue to ask any more questions, Teagan hung up.

I let the name Xyla run through my mind until I recognised the name to be Zion's sister.

Cursing silently, I took out my toast so it wouldn't burn, and power walked back outside.

The girls were gone, and the basketball slowly glided on the ground.

They couldn't have gone far.

I searched the front yard, trying to understand why Xyla would be here when she was meant to be in the hospital.

The sound of a purring engine emerged from the street beyond the gates of my house.

I recognised the driver of the Audi as River but widened my eyes at the sight of Zion getting out of it, rushing toward me and through the open gates.

"Where is she?" His voice was steady as flashes of anger and worry became etched onto his face.

"Xyla?" I asked, just to confirm.

"Fucking yes, where is she?" He asked, more irritated this time.

"She was just here, but I don't know where she is now-"

"She hasn't been home in twelve hours. She just came out of the fucking hospital, her body is still weak. Where the fuck is she?" He didn't let me talk as he kept swearing.

Zion was panicking, and I couldn't help him if he was in this state. It made me nervous.

"Zion, stop!" My voice matched his, and I was glad to get his attention.

"I can only help you if you calm down. We can understand each other if you breathe, and let me talk." I held my slightly trembling hands behind my back, nudging away the anxiety that crept into my mind.

I couldn't let myself lose against it, at least not when I'm doing something important.

He attempted to slow his breathing. It only made him more impatient.

"I only came downstairs to see her playing basketball with my sister-"

"Basketball!?" He raised his voice in question. "She was just released from the hospital-"

"I went inside to make myself breakfast and got a phone call to look out for a girl that fit your sister's description. When I came back outside to find her she was gone as well as my sister." He eyed me out while he let me explain.

I hated the way he looked. It was the same way Riot and his brother looked at me when I said I wanted out.

"You didn't check inside?" Zion spoke calmly, his eyes telling a different story as they heated with fire against my skin.

"Well, I would've, but then you arrived." I raised my eyebrows and tried my best to not roll my eyes.

Sighing deeply, I made my way to the front door of my house and turned around.

Zion stood at the gates, watching.

"I can't go inside," He pointed to the ankle monitor on his left leg.