SIXTEEN

NOAH

"IF YOU'RE gonna storm out, at least actually walk away." David's voice, though low, sounds through the empty corridor, the click of Leah's door following.

Not wanting to open my eyes from my small attempt of meditating, I snort, letting my faint smile be the only acknowledgment of his presence. I focus back on the warmth my eyelids enjoy when touching one another and the comforting darkness as they shield me from the florescent lights.

However, hearing his tip-taps getting closer yanks me out of my trance. I open my eyes, bidding the warmth goodbye, and raise my head off the wall, slightly wincing at the pain from the back of my neck.

"Was hanging around in case she decided to shoot you." I adjust the crossing of my arms before resting my head back again, this time leaving my eyes on him.

"Noah, my dear friend, if she's shooting anyone, it's you."

Ah well you little-

I blink and let myself linger in the darkness and the warmth tugs me deeper for a fleeting moment before I focus back on David. Bouncing myself off the wall, I walk to him.

I place a hand on his shoulder, frowning at the amount of energy that needed and then grin. "David," I lower my voice. "Don't give her your gun."

David returns my smile, placing a hand on my opposite shoulder. "Perhaps I will." He pauses. "In fact, I'll be overjoyed to be the one landing a bullet in your excuse of a brain, right here, right now, if you don't take care of this," and with that, his hand climbs to the back of my neck and presses on the wound, sending me sqautting beside him laughing, but in pain.

Not removing his hand, he pulls me till we reach a nurse who tends the wound and leaves me in one of the rooms with an ice bag on my neck.

David shakes his head, seating his hands in his pockets. "You know, I believe there's something we should do."

I raise my head to see him loosening his tie and immediately catch on, smiling from ear to ear. "Yes, it's very important that we do so now." I shrug throwing the ice bag on the bed. Rubbing my hands on my thighs to warm up, I stand.

"Shouldn't you keep that on?" David asks.I shrug.

"That? Nevermind about it," I say, placing an arm around his shoulder and walking out.

Once we reach the parking lot, David leads the way to his car, we both get in with nothing but the engines of the car and rumbling of the tires to break the silence.

We ride on through the purple sky, through the route we know so well. The Sun barely peaks over the horizon as she lets it swallow her further. Helplessly sinking into the murk, and not fighting back. She's deprived of hope, and all the willingness to obtain it. Retrieving her beams of glowing light, she lets the gloom and cold take over. From where she is, the journey back up is but only a dismissable fantasy. And only thus, it is.

"What?" I divert my eyes out the window when I feel David's lingering gaze.

He flounders before replying. "Nothing."

"You don't have to worry so much," I mumble."I'm not worried," David says.

I give him a look of disbelief. "Are you in love with me, then? 'Cuz it's either this or that, my friend."

"I'd throw you out of the car if I were driving fast enough."

"Yeah, or else you'll have to keep up the mother act till I leave the hospital. Bonus if I get a blow on my head."

We Lovedजहाँ कहानियाँ रहती हैं। अभी खोजें