THREE

SKIP 's
P.O.V.

Three days later

“PUG! OPEN the fucking door!” I shout rapidly knocking like I want to get my knuckles broken. The heat of the sun burning my eyes together with the sweat after that hell of a bike ride.

“What? Kid, what? What d’ya want?” The door finally flies open. I push my way in and start cleaning up.

“Cops are coming.” I look back at him.

He stares at me, frowning. “What?”

“Well close the door!” I say as I hide the guns in the middle of clothes and throw them in the washing machine. Pug slams the door, but instead of hearing the door click we hear a pained ‘humph’. I stand up as Pug opens the door away from a foot that blocked it to let a bunch of officers come into view.

The officer clears his throat and uses his deepest tone. “Sir, we have a warrant to search the premises. Please step aside.”

Pug makes way for them and stands by the table. “But ‘f course! Come on in!”

The officers enter the hut and spread all around. They rummage through everything and disappear into the darkness of the other rooms.

“Can I ask what’s wrong?” Pug seats his large hands into his pocket as he smiles to the cop standing before him.

“Clear!” We hear another deep voice from one of the rooms.

The officer glances at the room before turning back to Pug. “A woman is missing. Amelia Wilfred. Have you seen her anywhere?” The officer replies as if he’s said that line a thousand times getting out a picture. By the time I get to the table he already has that image back in his pocket. I put my hands in my own and lean on the table.

I can hear her. I hear her muffled screams. I kick Pug with my leg and he starts coughing. Loud ugly coughs, the ones that only a heavy smoker like that old dude can fake. I notice the officer watch me, he opens his mouth to say something before he is interrupted by Pug.

“Sadly not, sir, sorry ‘bout that.”

“You got anything?” A tall man rushes in. His green eyes scan the place before landing on the officer.

“Clear!” The officers shout from the other room. The tall man’s expression falls and I can see his chest rapidly moving up and down. The officer turns to him and sighs in evident exasperation.

“Noah! Noah, you aren’t supposed to get in there!” A black haired man with a light beard runs in after him and pulls him by his shoulder. I look up at Pug, the name definitely not new to my ears, and I see it. The corner of his lip twitching, trying to prevent a smile. The orange-brown haired man pushes the other off of his shoulder and runs to us, his hand fiddling in his pocket. He gets out a phone and looks at its screen before almost shoving it into Pug’s face.

“This woman. This right here. You sure you haven’t seen her?” He pleads pointing at his screen with every word.

“No, like I was just sayin’ to the gentleman right’ere.” Pug no longer fighting his smile, points at the officer before placing his hands back in his pockets.